Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody know what the compression on a 71 rotax 300 should be. my buddy bought one for forty bux. we have it running but just barely, bogs baaad. compression sits at about 95 right now but i was told it should be as high as 150. pulled the head off last night and there is no blatantly obvious wear or damage but ordered rings and gaskets today for ****s and giggles.
also, does anyone know what kind of spring is supposed to be in the secondary on the old beaters, i can open the secondary with one finger, the spring thats in there offers nearly no resistance and just doesnt seem right.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
The compression should be 120 or better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man, much appreciated.

still waiting on engine stuff but ripped apart both clutches and found that if two of four weights were swinging freely in the primary its a damned christmas miracle. cleaned em up nice and gave that noodle spring up front a full twist, seems to snap shut alot harder than it used to.
now i wait for gaskets. i told the guy at marine and leisure that i couldn't believe they didn't have parts for a 71 rotax 300 in stock all grumpy like and he apparently didnt get the joke, or he does one hell of a grumpy impression of his own. either way it was pretty funny.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts