Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '72 Ski-doo Olympic and the gas tank has small hairline cracks in it where the gas slowly drips out. I tried roughing up the surface and patching it with PL premium, and then apoxy but both times they just peeled off when dry. It there any liner or patch material anyone knows of that will work?

Daver

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I'm assuming it's made of some type of metal. Take it off and take it to a welder. Don't waste your time trying to cobble it with epoxy and stuff like that. I sure as heck wouldn't want my gastank to start leaking in the middle of a ride because I did't have it fixed correctly.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Rough it up, clean real good and try regular JB Weld, worked great on my artic cat, do two applications, not one big glob.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I would and see if you have someone local that does plastic welding and also maybe just check on craigslist or ebay and just get a new(used) tank!? May not cost that much[dunno]

·
Registered
123 Posts
put some RIGHT STUFF on it and let it dry it should work i did for mine :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
daver36 said:
I've got a '72 Ski-doo Olympic and the gas tank has small hairline cracks in it where the gas slowly drips out. I tried roughing up the surface and patching it with PL premium, and then apoxy but both times they just peeled off when dry. It there any liner or patch material anyone knows of that will work?

Daver
ya, there's a tank liner i use on tractors (and sleds), it's called red-cote i buy it from a farm supply company, i think its called value-built. just search red-cote tank liner, this stuff is the BEST tank liner you can get

·
Registered
848 Posts
I can't believe no has suggested ducktape lol. by the way i'm not suggesting it.

Isn't there some kind of liquid that you can put in the tank and rotate it so that it gets all the sides and leaves a thin seal over in inside?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I fixed my old '72 elan plastic tank by welding it myself. I used an electric soldering iron and just worked it back and forth along the cracks till it made a nice bead as in welding metal. Worked fine till I junked the sled-

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Plastic welding would be your best option. You can do it yourself but the best result would be by a professional and it will last forever.

·
Registered
328 Posts
soldering gun and some plastic that you can melt or i take a torch and hot screw driver and melt it together

1 - 11 of 11 Posts