Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anyway that i would be able to raise my 73 el tigre 440 farther off the ground. it is pretty low and if i could raise it i think it would be even faster and it wouldn't get stuck as easily. please tell me anything i can do to raise my sled and tell me the price too if you could.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Raising your sled won't make it any faster. I don't know of anything you can do to raise it other than getting a modern suspension & track and doing some modifications to your sled to get them to work.
As far as getting stuck, I'm not sure if your tunnel is deep enough to handle a small paddle or not... even after installing smaller drive sprockets on there. But by putting the smaller sprockets on, you're gearing it down, so you're losing top end speed.
Those early '70s Cats sat pretty low all the way around. If you did put a new suspension in there, I think it would handle real funky without doing something to the front end. You'd have to get rid of the springer front suspension & install a whole new front end.
It would be an awful lot of work and fairly expensive unless you had a newer sled that had been wrecked & you could scavenge all the parts you need from it.
You'd be money ahead by fixing up a '90 or newer sled.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Those early cats' had a rather short track, so they became stuck very easy. Newer sleds had a bracket that would lower the rear suspension pivot bolt below the tunnel. This aided in deep powder. You could either buy some or fabricate them and mount them to your sled.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can anyone give me tips or how to do/ make your own lift kit( to make the back end higher) on a 73 el tigre 440

thanks
Dustin

·
Registered
328 Posts
the simplelest way to do that, take the rear suspension bolts out, weld brackets onto the tunel and bolt the suspension back into brackets that you weld on. I would recomend against this unless you rolled your chain case, otherwise, your attack angle will be extremely steep. If you do decide to update your suspension, i would roll the chain case back also, that way you could get a better attack angle and be able to put a better track on it. I'm just going by semi modern techniques, so i don't know if it would work for your sled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts