Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a Switchback for next season,looks as though both of these motors make about 140 hp. The FST looks to be about 98 lbs heavier. Hoping to get some feedback on the pros and cons of the two motors. I know that in 07' the 700CFI is not an option for the Switchback, thinking it maybe for 08'? Anyway.... smoothness; power; fuel economy; are a few of my questions. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If your going to get an 08 sled wait and see what all models will be offered then instead of making up your mind now.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The is no comparison between the 2. A Switchback with the 700 CFI will blow away the FST because of how much lighter it is.
However, like you said, at this time that engine isnt an option in the Switchback. I wouldnt be surprised of Polaris offered that engine in the Switchback in '08 though.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I work at a Polaris dealer and by all means stay away from the FST! There are customers here who are about to give their FST's back to polaris and tell them where to shove them.

hold out and wait for 08

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Never heard of major issues with the FST, didn't even see any at the dealership needing service.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the mags dragged an fst against an 800 rev. and they were equal to 70 mph. the extra wieght on the fst isnt all bad. keeps it straight and true on the trails.

you never know what they will come out with. someday they might be close to yami.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by myvertxcape
[br]Never heard of major issues with the FST, didn't even see any at the dealership needing service.
No offense, but have you been living under a rock for the past couple years???
The FSTs have had lots and lots of issues mostly stemming from excessive underhood heat that the turbo puts out.
The FST has been kinda like the '05 Fusion was. People either love it or hate it. Some people have thousands of miles on their FSTs with absolutely no problems and other people have had problem after problem after problem.
I like the FST but IMO its too much of a risk at this point in time.
As far as the comment by madcow that they might someday be close to Yamaha in terms of 4-strokes. Im not holding my breath. Yamaha has the advantage of decades of experience making high-performance 4-stroke motorcycle engines. Polaris has some great engines, but they have nothing like Yamaha's crotchrocket and dirtbike engines. Take my YZ 250F for example. Its a 250 4-stroke that turns 13,000 rpm and puts out 35 hp in stock form. Polaris has no 4-stroke that even comes close to that. Im not bashing Polaris, but when it comes to 4-strokes they have a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go before they are in Yamaha's league.
Perhaps they should go in together making sleds. That way Polaris would have a kick-butt 4-stroke engine and Yamaha would have a rear suspension that doesnt fall apart in less than 1 season of riding.

·
Registered
291 Posts
rumors of a 800cfi 155ish horse hitthing the snow out west in a couple weeks...wait awhile before you make up your mind on a 700[:D]

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Originally posted by tison1200
[br]rumors of a 800cfi 155ish horse hitthing the snow out west in a couple weeks...wait awhile before you make up your mind on a 700[:D]
I heard about the 800cfi, too. I would wait and see what happens before making up your mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input, and info. I have an 06' Attak with Mnt Ski's and a 1.5" track under it. Sweet motor, but the chassis is not long enough to get it on top of the POW. ( although this season hasn't been to kind to us so far a far as POW goes ). An 800 CFI would be the power that I like, i'll hang in there for a bit as March is just around the corner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts