Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanted to know if anyone knew how to check the cdi box,to see if its any good without special tool# ***^##@$^& what ever they say to use (dealer item).Hate to buy a new one if thats not the problem.Coils are ok ignition? Don't know where to start to rule out one thing or another.I put coil on my 88 el tigre and it worked fine but wasn't sure if I could do the same with CDI.Any help would be appreciated..!! If anyone knows someone said that type of cdi picks up its signal from the flywheel in which it is mounted over an inspection hole ,does that have to be grounded or clean for that to work properly?

is there a way to check the gearating coil to see if thats putting out juice?Will the headligt glow when pulled if the coil is bad?Also do you have jump the ignition wires if you unplug from key??ANY HELP ON THIS ELECTRICAL SYSTEM WOUOLD HELP!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
if it has points take some emery cloth in the points and clean them then fold a matchbook in half to get all the crap cleaned out thats wat i did on my old sled to get it running

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
CDI either works or not.
You will have to try another one to see if that's the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Two areas to check for spark on arctic cats. This is second hand info so bear with me. I was told to check safety switch on throttle cable something about needing tension on it all the time? Also was told to unplug everything to get spark then plug in switches one at a time to see where problem was because ignition is grounded.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
you can get cdi's on ebay cheap, dont no if they work, but they're cheap!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have found at least half the time when a sled has no spark it is a switch and rarely a cdi unless previous owner has decided they know how to 'improve' the factory wiring harness. Most time on Arctic cats it is the handlebar switch then it goes to the key. Some sleds have a tether switch that can kill the motor but only intermitently so you can jump conclusions and think cdi or need to work on carbs.

as the earlier post suggested disconnect main plug out of engine and then see if sled will run.
if it does consider buying a new kill switch- the ones with the pesky two inch section of throttle cable attached. I find the crap tiawan ones go every couple seasons so splurge on a oem cat part

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if i pull the wiring harness and it still doesnt fire how do i know if its the cdi or the gen coil?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
If it still does not fire after the switches are unplugged, you can check for power at the wires before the CDI.

Unplug the CDI and insert a piece of wire into the plug. Place it close to a ground spot and crank the engine. If there is any spark, it is the CDI that is bad.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
just the wire that goes to the CDI as the other wires are for the lights and shut off circuits.
Just get a couple of pulls. Enough to see if there is any juice/spark from the wires.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found that this is an open system as I was checking it like my 88 and was jumping things out.I got it to fire now on to the fuel system..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
anyone know a good easy way to get a frozen gas tank unthawed without taking it off the sled.I didn't know if I could put something in it and then empty it after?

·
Registered
107 Posts
either remove it and take it inside or get it in your garage and heat the garage for sevweral days. Your best bet is remove it-since it is frozen- your gonna have to get all the water out of it and will most likely have to turn it upside down anyway.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by OldCatRider
[br]CDI either works or not.
You will have to try another one to see if that's the problem.

I had a bad CDI on my XC Eltigre. The sled did run it - just did not rev up at all. I took the sled to a winter show and did alot of riding in NY that weekend, got it home fired it up to get off the trailer took a few rides around my house, pulled the sled into my garage for the night and the very next day the sled would start but stopped revving up at all and ran real crappy

The CDI still did something even though it was faulty.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well this just turned into a summer project.I just picked up two cats for free,a 80 jag 340f/c and a 75-76 jag 295cc air cooled.Both in fair cond.the 80 runs the other will be yet another project.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I retract that last statment.It was a 79 jag,and a 73-74 eltigre after geting in to them.I got the jag running but kind of stuck with the kaw. motor.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well it took some warm days but the tanks all cleaned out and the sled is running,of coarse all the snow is gone[V].I took it around the back yard anyway mud riding.Here's a pic.[attachment=63899]

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[attachment=64179][attachment=64180][attachment=64181]
me and the fam had a great time today riding.Do these gauges come on all the old sled like this one?[attachment=64182]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
^^^^Yes most of them came on, the tach was usually an option...do they all work?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.