Snowmobile Fanatics banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Ok so have you tried this. To eliminate the coils being bad you can switch the red and white wires around and see if you get spark out of the opposite plug wire. Assuming the coils and points are good then it would most likely be a bad condensor. It would be the upper one on your pic. Its got a white blue and black wire coming off the top of it. Its round and silver in color. Most times these wires will have to be re-soldered to replace. Not exspensive just time consuming. To be honest I would replace both points and condensors to be on the safe side as long as it all apart. The 73 panther I worked on last season now has no spark again and only ran about 100 miles last year. I replaced both points and coils and now know that the condensors are bad. So back to taking it all apart again. Save yourself the headache and do it all now. Keep us posted to what happens.
TXC

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
any idea what all these parts cost about new? I allready found a used parts donor at a local repair shop for around the $20 mark. Thats if he still has them around.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If I remember right I believe the points and condensors where both around 8-10 dollars each. They still make all the stuff you will need so that shouldnt be a prob.

·
Registered
553 Posts
In my www.shadetreepowersporst.com mag. There $4.99 each for both. So to do all 4 items your looking at $20.00 plus I think they charge a flat shipping rate of 9.95
There phone #(888)742-3387
Artic Cat All from 73-75 Points part#01-0211
condenser part#01-0391

71-72 All points#01-021
condenser#01-039

Your sled must be older than you think. I know in 75 they started with the CDI boxes on the panther.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
these older sleds can be a real pain lol. make sure u are gaping the new points exactly to specs or it will not spark. do u have the 2 holes so u can turn the clutch over and see the points opening and closing. like i said setting the points can be real tricky take your time and set em both to exact specs. if they are even a hair off it wont spark. or spark will be real week. good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ok, once again thanks everyone for the help.
I took a few week break from the sled to regain myself from the mental part of it.

Well I took it to my work where my co worker was able to get the points set. And now its running good. But, and there is always something else that goes wrong. Now it seems the clutch is froze up. It just doesn't move when I rev it up. How can I determine for sure that it is? Does anyone know about what they cost?

·
Registered
553 Posts
You could buy a comet 94-c clutch wich is a basic clutch and costs around 150.00. I also know theres a aftermarket thats 100.00 not sure of the name brand. Or you could rebuild. A comet 102 is going to run around 230.00.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Also my buddies 73 panther did the same thing after we rebuilt the motor. The clutch was froze up. We sprayed some good lubricant on the shaft and it finally broke loose. Just dont get any on the clutch face or in the clutch itself.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts