Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a dilemma, as I am trying to get the ol' girl running, but she is without spark. The sled ran when we put it 'away' (outside against the house!) about few years back. I find it hard to believe that both coils would be bad seeing as there is no spark in either cylinder. I am now beginning to wonder wether it is the stator (or whatever the thing is called that sits behind the flywheel). I included a picture of the flywheel to hopefully better explain what I'm talking about. Just wondering what everyones thoughts/opinions are...

P.S. the recoil was removed about a year or so ago so what you see in the picture was exposed to the elements.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Yup old points and condenser system.

Take the flywheel off, File the points, reset the gap to specs and see if that helps.

If not then might be bad condensers.....

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Get one of them point filers. No need to remove fly wheel. Just file points through the holes in the clutch. dont over file as you will ruin them. Once or twice, check it. If nothing do it again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Redneck13x said:
Get one of them point filers. No need to remove fly wheel. Just file points through the holes in the clutch. dont over file as you will ruin them. Once or twice, check it. If nothing do it again.
Sounds like a handy tool. What does one of them look like? Where can I get one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I changed the coils and condensers and removed the flywheel to gain access to the stator. I cleaned up all my connections and removed any rust/residue on the stator magnets. I soon gained spark in one cylinder but I cannot figure out for the life of me why I am lacking spark in one cylinder. The snow is almost here and I desperately need to get it running!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I replaced both the coils and condensers. I cleaned up all my electrical connections, magnets on the stator and cleaned the points.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Well one side has spark so cross off points. Re check connections. Make sure you are using a good plug or a spark tester when checking spark.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts