Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had machine out a few days ago. Was running good and I shut it off for about 10 minutes. Went to restart and would not start. The plugs seem to have spark and after a few pulls the become wet so fuel must be getting to cylinder. Don't know if spark is strong enough.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I doubt that the problem is the spark. It sounds to me like the needle and seat in the carb is worn out or there is somthing caught in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had apart the carb and needle and seat are working fine. Maybe I'll have to try and spray something in there and see if it fires.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I sometimes have the same problem. I have been told by many on this board that it is my needles and seats and I believe this to be the problem. I notice it happens when it is warmer than 32 degrees outside and I always smell gas when trying to start it. Obviously this means the cylinders are flooding out. I have yet to replace the needles and seats but I find that in cold weather, since you need more gas to start up, I don't have a problem. Also, I shut the gas off if I know the sled will sit for a long period of time. Someone on this board said to do this. I think it has to do with gas pressure. Anyway, this always works for me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
By chance did you check the compression on the cylinders? or double check and make sure the heads are properly torqued?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't checked compression yet just because never had any problem with starting or running before. For an old sled it was running good. Top end was about 70-75mph,lots of low end torque and always started on first pull. Did find that the spark did die while i was trying to pull it over but kept trying and it would return. Each time I have spark I put the plugs back in and pull it over and it won't start. Tried sutting off fuel supply to checked and see if its flooded and it won't even try and start. With fuel supply on it is getting gas. Could it be the coil is not producing good enough spark or is the cdi screwed up.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Just gooing though this with a 77 jag 340. Last couple years was doing it intermitantly. Let it cool right off and it was fine again. Talked to a cat dealer, he said with those ages of cat's 80% of the time it was cdi. This one is still dead ,after a cdi change, and a suspect coil, was also changed. Looking to pull the flywheel and look athe the stator plate.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Pulled the flywheel today, the larger open coil on the left is for lighting, the smaller on the right is ignistion, mine looks baked, the coating is drippig in a few places, new one won't be here until Tuesday

1 - 8 of 8 Posts