Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 pro x i9t has slp twin pipes ans cheater head with required jets installed. wide ope, this runs great, super fast. after cruising a while tho it seems to load up and be sluggish on throttle. It also seems to use a redicualous amount of gas compaired to my stock 800 driving the same speed, cruising or full throttle? any ideas on why so much fuel and sluggish cruise?

·
Registered
252 Posts
sounds like you might be a little rich check the recommended setting for your needle jet and your pilot jet for your pipes.If your good at 3/4 to full throttle your main jet should be fine.Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, my eys were half closed last night....its a 03 pro x 800.
I had it at my shop that works on my sled last year and it wasnt running good for a spell....he went over everything then found the needles and seats bad and replaced them...run good then except for loading up on exstended low speeds..he said it had the right jets in it for our alt and temp and pipes. he sujested cranking in the air screw some....i did...it seemed to help a little...but not enough...dont dare crank it in too much.......my mileage i believe is around 6 or 7 mpg

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
you might need to drop the needle one clip position. slp is pretty rich on there settings. and that is also the other part of the "big hp gian" from slp. its all on top and not very trailable. i am having problems with my pipes for 3 years now and they are still giving me the same checklist to keep going over.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think everyones mileage drops I know mine did cause your got it pegged cause those pipes sound cool[:D]the sound makes you stiker peck out.[:p][:p]

·
Registered
110 Posts
What jets you running? With the twins you should be about right at 500 on the mains.
Also join this site and say hi.[:eek:)]

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XC800VES/

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the carbs off and they have 500s in them with the needle clip in the 3rd position with a .20 spacer. The SLP sight recomended 560 jets which are even richer i think. So still at a loss why it uses so much gas

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am running 480's but I am not runnning twin pipes(single here). I know they like to have guys run rich. Prolly to save people from burndown. What color are the plugs?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Twin pipes, cheater head...500 jetts and middle slot in needle...uses way to much fuel.i set fuel screw and it was already in as far as it would go and still be responsive from idle. can i lower the needle clip to lean it out a bit more? runs great wide open, loads up a bit at cruise and has no responce untill i get the fuel cranked out of it. Took heads off and cyl were perfect..no carbon build up and a med brown color on pistons and plugs

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yea by lowering the needle you lower the gas that is led in at the mid range. So it would be worth a shot loose the shim and run the needle in the #2 slot. this will lean out the mid a bit and see what it does.
What kind of plug color do you get with wide open throttle? Look at the wash and color of the tops of the piston. You want a nice hershey bar color on top and dry looking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, My plugs and the top of my pistons are medium to dark brown with no carbon and dry..no scorring either...ok so spacer? no spacer?? click down so needle up or click up so needle down to lean out fuel in mid range? always getting backwards..lol so the needle only effects mid range?? cause my top end seems to be ok

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yea counting from top to bottom top being position #1 go to position #2 (second from top) This changes when the jet is allowed to flow all fuel. The needle will only open up all the way that much farther on the throttle position.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts