Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found the sweetest of the sweet deals possible I think on my dream sled. I'm looking at a 04 Pro X2 800 in the crate with warrantee.

My question is how many times have you guys done, or heard of doing the crank on a Polaris 800 twin. I have heard of all kinds of stories of the 800's breaking crankshafts because the crankcases flex and take out bearings. SLP makes a bottom plate to put under the motor to keep the cases more rigid. Do these things actually help or am I just flushing more money down the toilet.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Spence

·
Registered
236 Posts
I havent had any problems with mine. I did notice after I bought it thou that the factory torqe arm was adjusted about a quarter of an inch out from the engine when it was suppose to be right up against it. I thought that was wierd since that would put a ton of stress on the bearing if not adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I think that the reason you hear "all kinds of stories" about the crank issues is due largely to the internet. I am not saying that there wasn't issues w/ the cranks but thanks to the internet things get snowballed. One guy reads about another guys crank issue, then he tells his two buddies who each tell a buddy and so on and then you have 15 guys saying that the 800's eat cranks.

From my experience if you talk to the people on line who have 800's you will hear that most have never had a problem w/ it.

That sled you are looking at is one bad ride and if I was you I would scoop it up. If you are overly worried about it there are kits out there to beef it up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have 4500 miles and no problems. I have had no problems in stock form with Jets and gears. I think when you did alot of mods to the engine the bearing may have became a issue.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
As everyone has stated there have been some instances of problems!!! This means to me that there exists a chance of something happening which would be reason enough for me to put the parts on. Chances are that if SLP is doing something they are doing it for a reason, I would say they are one of the best if not the best performance company out there. I have not read much on that plate but I do know they make whats called a tough boy bearing kit which in my opinion is a must for this particular motor. Also the addition of a torque are and push arm from them also greatly improve the amount of stress on that motor.

I do not know if you have ever bought from or talked to SLP before but my suggestion would be to call them and talk to them about your specific application. They have to be one of the best companies I have ever talked to in any business, they will be willing to talk to your for as long as needed and will not expect you to buy anything they are just glad to help.

JM2,
DW

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have 3800 miles on my 800 Pro X2 and haven't had the crank problem. However, I have had several others.

1. Dropped a valve. (warranty) Replaced valves with stainless kit.
2. Broken motor mount. (warranty) installed SLP torque arm with Aurora heim joint.
3. New gas tank (warranty).
4. Stator went out (warranty).

I also had to shim the primary clutch to .030 (belt clearance was .065 from factory), adjust throttle cable (carbs didn't open all the way).

Great sled once you get it setup right with clutching and suspension tuning. [:D]

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Funny you should mention the fact that your carbs weren't opening all the way.

I just put on the Powermadd Throttle block and when I checked my cable adjustment out it wasn't opening all the way either. The carbs weren't even close to opening all the way and I don't think that the block would have made that much of a difference. Makes me wonder if they were opening all the way before.

I adjusted it so that it comes all the way around to the stop like it should. Am anxious to get out on the snow and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
On a new 800, I would do the big bearing kit, push arm, torque arm, engine plate, and get the primary balanced. Most of the 800 failures are in the mountain sleds, the long tracks and the torque that is transfering as you transition on and off the throttle is killer to the drivetrain. The thought is that the torque on the crankcase causes the crankshaft to wallow out the PTO end of the crankcase, eventually leading to failure of the crank. The big bearing kit gives more surface area in the crankcase to absorb the energy; the torque arm and push arm help keep the engine from flexing, keeping the clutches aligned, and the engine plate helps keep the crankshaft from flexing. Do it all, and you should never have to worry about it.

A lot of the Poo clutches are pretty far out of balance from the factory, getting the primary balanced is also cheap insurance to give you long life.

·
Registered
50 Posts
4000 miles on my 02 and not one problem!![:D]

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
if it has a warrantee i wouldn't touch it until the warrantee is up. if you do a bearing upgrade on it right off the bat you'll void your warrantee. if it breaks while the warrantee is still going and you haven't touched it, they'll have to fix it.

aside from that, like other people have said it's blown out of proportion on the internet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have my crank rebuilt on my XC 800 2002 at 8000 miles (Big Boy bearing kit). before the rebuilt all stock, now SLP all the way (pipes, intake, heads, clutch kit...etc).

the needle bearing of the PTO connecting rod collapse, the connecting rod hit the crankcase and crack it. real big f*** job. I still love my sled...**** happen whatever the company sled you own.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yah ShoelessJoe, the carbs didn't open all the way! Mine was about 1/4" into the carb bore. I gutted the airbox, adjusted the carbs to open all the way, Vforce reeds, and drop mains to 430 or 420 depending on temp. After the right clutching and the other updates mentioned, she flies!

She is now the backup sled to my Dragon. [:D]

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Good info here. Everybody has covered pretty much all of the main stuff. If you're going to get a base plate, do NOT get the SLP plate, buy one from 1200psi(brad) on SnoWest, much better design and setup. It's a ONE piece motor plate, makes the SLP plate look cheezy/inferior IMO. It's a direct bolt-in as well. I have one on my Pro-X 800 along with N20iroc's torque arm off HCS, stock push arm flush against motor. Primary clearance and carb slide clearance are out on alot of them from the factory too. I would get the primary clutch balanced as well. PTO big bearing upgrade on a brand new sled, that's your call. It would be cheap to do it now, but if it voids warranty, I wouldn't do it.

I could get some pictures of my motor plate setup and torque arm if some of you guys want pictures. It makes the motor rock solid in there.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The plate I got from SLP is one-piece, anodized aluminum, and very strong. Don't know what you were looking at or when it was purchased, but I like mine just fine.

If you are concerned with the warranty, you can still do the other mods and it shouldn't void anything; I would ask to make sure. Out where I ride, if you break, it's a LONG way to the trailer, and that warranty may be nice when you get the sled back to town, but it's WAY better not to break in the first place.

IT's the pits anyone has to think about modifying ANY sled to make it strong enough to run as intended. I have never heard Polaris fessing up to building a problem crank in the 800, but I know a bunch of guys that have broken 'em. Most of 'em are riding Ski-doo or Arctic Cat now.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by BC_Dan
[br]The plate I got from SLP is one-piece, anodized aluminum, and very strong. Don't know what you were looking at or when it was purchased, but I like mine just fine.

If you are concerned with the warranty, you can still do the other mods and it shouldn't void anything; I would ask to make sure. Out where I ride, if you break, it's a LONG way to the trailer, and that warranty may be nice when you get the sled back to town, but it's WAY better not to break in the first place.

[red]IT's the pits anyone has to think about modifying ANY sled to make it strong enough to run as intended.[/red] I have never heard Polaris fessing up to building a problem crank in the 800, but I know a bunch of guys that have broken 'em. Most of 'em are riding Ski-doo or Arctic Cat now.
You guys are all making really good points. I find it quite rediculous to have to do a bunch of stuff to a brand new sled to make it tough enough to hold together.

My dealer went to order the 2 that he found they were both gone this morning [:(]. He said that he found them in a Polaris warehouse and they were a blowout price. I phoned him this morning to tell him to get me one but was told the news. I am however feeling I am not suppose to have one. I've missed 3 of them this year (2 were 800's and 1 was a 600). With all the problems I have heard about (My cousin has a 04 ProX2 and riding his is what got me to want one so bad but he has 3000 miles on his and has done the crank twice on it) I still want one.

I am going to keep looking for. There has to be one with my name on it somewhere. Thanks guys.

Spence

1 - 16 of 16 Posts