Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 800 XCR that I purchased a couple of years ago. If it sits for more than a few hours without shutting of the fuel valve, the engine floods. If left for more than a day or two, it can collect enough fuel in the crankcase to hydro-lock it. It also ran extremely rich if the air temp was above about 25F.

I have disassembled and cleaned the carbs (there was a lot of white gunk in the float valve/seat area). I examined the float valves and they all looked OK - one appears to have been previously replaced. I checked the main jets, they are stock. I re-assembled the carbs, replacing one leaking bowl gasket. I tested the float valves by holding the carbs upside-down (with the weight of the floats holding the valve shut) and could not blow any air by the valves.

The sled runs much better in warm temps now, but the flooding while parked problem still exists. Any ideas? I hate to "shotgun" in new float valves as you have to install the entire float assy for about $45/carb. Is there a better test for float valve sealing? I don't recall that there was any way to set the float height either, as it was all plastic.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

· Registered
8,834 Posts
with 5 psi air check the needle and seat by flipping the carb upside down or by holding each needle and seat in your hand.

also take the pulse line off of the crank case leading to the fuel pump, see if gas drips from there. if so rebuild pump, if not you have a bad needle and seat, chances are the pump is bad.

· Registered
8,834 Posts
the floats are non adjustable.

· Registered
9,987 Posts
^^^ Madcow has the right answers.

· Registered
20 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2004 800 xcsp. I VERY CAREFULLY heated the plastic tab on the float bowl and bent it to put more pressure on the needle valve. I used a heat gun to heat the plastic. ( a hair dryer might work also ) Be sure to take your time or you will ruin it and have to buy a new assembly. My sled hasn`t leaked a drop since I did this modification.

· Registered
2,738 Posts
I always turn off the fuel valve if I let the sled sit for more than a few minutes on the trailside, e.g. stopping for lunch, storage between trips, and ESPECIALLY during trailer transportation.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
barney said:
Needle seat/seal?
Ok, you got me... I used the wrong terminology:
When I said "float valve" I meant the "needle and seat"

Anyway, all three seemed to seal, but I will check again @ 5 psi as suggested by madcow.

I will also check the pulse line - right now my bet is on the fuel pump, as I have never touched that (yet!) Thanks madcow, I'll post what I find.

[@ Polaris_Parts_MN]
Mine is OK if left on for more than a few minutes, but I am trying to get in the habit of shutting the fuel valve off if it is going to be parked more than an hour... but you know how it goes - juggling your helmet, gloves, mask, sled cover, etc. while trying to talk about something you saw back on the trail, and it sometimes gets overlooked!

Anyway, if the fuel pump doesn't fix it, I found a 12v, selenoid actuated, fuel valve for less than $25 online that I am thinking of installing so I don't ever have to remember!!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
That I believe! Though I have been sitting quietly in the weeds, I have read many threads here on tripples and 800 trips, and madcow seems to really know his stuff. As a matter of fact, I feel honered madcow answered my first plea for help. (lol)

originally in Ugly_old_Poo_kid's sig. said:
96 - XLT/SP with Storm 800 trip/trip and now EFI - FrankenStorm II lives...
You have EFI on your 800?! How did you go about that? I have searched for a compatible EFI system several times, and come up dry - I must not be looking in the right places...

· Registered
8,834 Posts
thanks for the kind words.

on my first 800 xcr it backfired hard one cold morning and that was enough to break the one side in the fuel pump.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haven't had a chance to get into it yet, but I am hoping to have a look at it this weekend. It looks pretty straight-forward, and I am getting quicker at gettin' the carbs off and on (lol). Looks like the pump rebuild parts all come as one kit, right?

· Registered
537 Posts
firemandan said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
That I believe! Though I have been sitting quietly in the weeds, I have read many threads here on tripples and 800 trips, and madcow seems to really know his stuff. As a matter of fact, I feel honered madcow answered my first plea for help. (lol)

originally in Ugly_old_Poo_kid's sig. said:
96 - XLT/SP with Storm 800 trip/trip and now EFI - FrankenStorm II lives...
You have EFI on your 800?! How did you go about that? I have searched for a compatible EFI system several times, and come up dry - I must not be looking in the right places...
He took a RXL EFI system and did a custom map for the 800 tripple.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.