Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just purchased a 800 triple out of a 2000 xcr and plan on puting it in my 96 xlt sks. just wondering what all im goin to need to do this swap? i know i need the motor mounts off of a 680 ultra motor and that i will need to get a silencer because the stock muffler wont fit. can any one think of anything else im goin to need or can you tell me if this is goin to work or not

·
Registered
985 Posts
should be a hell of a sleeper.
not sure you can get any of the pipes to fit. not just the silencer.
you will need the cdi out of the xcr.
and of course clutches set up for your pipes.
not sure on the coolant bottle but again an ultra bottle will work great.
also an ultra airbox will work.

sounds like fun.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Lumpy post a pic of engine compartment not sure of xlt but I did this conversion to a 96 ultra. If the xlt and the 96 ultra are the same I can walk you right through it .How complete did you get the motor ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hope you got the pipes it probably won't be possible with a single pipe.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Should be straight foward and be a nice sleeper. My though would time on the pipes will be your biggested headache. Might have to cut and fit a bit.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
talk to riley. he just did it to an old indy chassis.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sounds like a nice project.

I am hoping to find an 800 Storm engine for my Ultra....really all I need is the Pistons, cylinders and heads....but complete would be fine also.

Good luck and keep us posted![;)]

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Originally posted by 97SPX680
[br]Sounds like a nice project.

I am hoping to find an 800 Storm engine for my Ultra....really all I need is the Pistons, cylinders and heads....but complete would be fine also.

The xcr 800ves top end bolts right up to your spx bottom. You need to measure pipe clearance. I'm not sure about the storm.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
check the way the motor sits in the ultra mounts. make sure the carbs dont hit the mounts or the front of the tunnel. if I had to build a sled with the xcr 800 motor. I would make a solid plate under it. like the old indys. and add 1-2 extra front rubber mounts and an extra rear mount. then the motor would stay in place.

if you use the ultra mounts. use the ultra rubbers as well. the setup where the long bolt goes through the strap. if you use the xcr 800 mounts you will be tearing them apart. add a torque arm up front. and keep an eye on the front left tab that the mount bolts two. I have heard of them getting tore off with this motor.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

storm engine is different from the ultra. XCR 800 jugs are what you want.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally posted by Sno-X-treme
[br]

storm engine is different from the ultra. XCR 800 jugs are what you want.
I thought those were the same....weird.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the storm case was kind of on its own for jug bolt pattern size. I have a 600 xcr case reed that will take my xcr jugs if I wanted to. (future top secret motor in progress kinda)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok so i FINALLY got my 800 motor!!!!!!!!! i think i have everything i need but the coolant jug. it came complete with carbs, pipes,clutches,complete wiring harness and cdi box. just wondering about a can. can i make my own? i was looking a the one on my xlt triple pipes and it looks pretty easy to make. would it be the same?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I can help you make your own quiet silencer setup.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts