Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is $350 a good price for an '81 Jag 4000 440 fan? Thanx,
Matt

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
If its in good shape with lower miles yeh id say its a good deal..

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, ah.. it has about 8000 miles.. lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
81 Jag,

I Also have an 81 Jag 4000. It was my first sled and it is an awesome sled for its age and era. Very quick and fun to ride just lacking seriously in the suspension department. It is ashamed you don't live out west or I would sell you mine because I have got 5 sleds sitting around and not enough people to ride them all. I f you decide to get it let me know and maybe I can set you up with some spare parts.

Jeff

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, that would be great, XLtease... thanx!
I am thinkin I will need some parts.. not sure what yet though...
U have a good track on it, or no?
Matt

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is a metal bar track?
Are they in any good? And what for?
Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
These are the stock trocks used throughout the 70's and early 80's. What it is is a metal bar riveted to the track used as drive lugs and traction lugs. It was replaced by todays style tracks with rubber inner drive lugs and rubber bars or paddles dependant on the type of track you get. They are very rugged and that is why they are still on some of the older sleds. They work great for trail riding and about up to 6 inches of powder. Terrible on ice unless you add studs (same as todays rubber tracks) and no good for deep powder (same as todays standard 5/8" lug short tracks). Hope this answers your question. Oh and the stock track on this sled is only 116" long and has no internal drivers so if you plan on swapping tracks you will need to move your suspension back and change drivers.

Jeff

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
A metal bar track is commonly referred to as a "cleated" track. The "metal bars" are cleats.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok.. well I have a cleated track already comin w/ this sled.. but I need a new one sometime soon I think.. I will let ya know.. Thanx everyone!
Matt

p.s. Are cleats like studs.. when you hit ice.. is there the chance of them digging in, and send you flipping thru the air? My friend did that on his MXZ 600, I believe 600??, and he rolled it 2-3 times. He was going WOT.. hit ice.. started goin sideways.. studs grabbed in.. tumbled sideways about 3 times. I just wanna know if that could happen to me.. lol.
Thanx

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I have heard they have the other effect like confusedguy said where when you get sideways they dig in and are like on skates...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok.. koolness.. lol.
Just hope I don't kill myself!
Matt

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so wait a minute.. cleats are actualy good for ice? Because they 'carve' in.. rite?
Matt

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yup, you hit a patch of ice with a cleated track, and your azz end is going to swing right out to the side on you. I'd recomend putting some studs in as well to prevent this.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well.. that just plain-ol sux! (but could also be lotz of fun at the same time..)
Studs are a lil expensive though.. would maybe 32 be ok?
Also.. why in older sleds such as mine.. and even my friends old 88 (i believe) Polaris 2+up 488.. you could get your rear-end to swing around if given enough gas?
When I drove my friends 97 500 Indy.. I cocked the ski's, punched the gas.. and all that happened was it took off.. lol.. no rear-end sliding.. nothing..
Matt

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I would think 32 studs would do fine for your sled. They would definately make it a lot safer to ride!

I'm assuming one had a studded track and one didn't. It also matters what the surface was like. One may of been ice, while the other was packed powder.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok.. I'll look into buying 32 studs. Can anyone hook a brotha up (lol) and give me an addy of a cheap set?
But w/ 32 studs.. could I still have fun on Ice or even powder?
Matt

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Try this site for inexpensive quality studs. Be sure to choose the correct height stud for your track though:

http://www.richmotorsports.com/studs2.html

If you stud your track, you're really not going to spin around that much on ice. The studs will prevent this as they dig in. But that's what you want on ice.

As for powder, and packed powder, you should still be able to swing the back end of your sled around when you come into a corner. Just not as much. Don't worry, you'll still have plenty of fun.....plus you won't have to worry as much about being tossed of the seat like you would if you just had the cleated track alone.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts