Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a book for one of the old cats.
I need to know what main jet to use in my
1981 Trailcat 4000 - 440 fan - single carb,
a mechanic looked it up as a 285, but I don't think that is right.
She really dogs along for a 440, 45- 50 mph tops on the trail.
My dads 76 Electra goes faster than that, and it's alot heavier.
I am not sure if it is clutching or just engine performance.
Any suggestions to get more pep out of this little sled would be great.
Thanks.

Live to ride, ride to live.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update,
I found out that the original carb that was on this sled was a Mikuni
butterfly, and it now has a roundslide, so the main jet that I thought was
a 280, was actually for the butterfly carb. So I will have some tuning
to do when the snow flies.
This sled spends all it's time outside with a crappy cover on it, so it doesn't
look the best. So when I got it home I started cleaning it, then I thought boy it's greasy dirty under the hood I'll just take off some stuff so I can clean better. Well one thing let to anouther, and now the tunnel sits on it's track and skiis......stripped, and I am now in full restoration mode, replacing fuel lines, filter and pump, rerouting electrics, painting engine parts, waxing the hood, etc.
Better get a good waterproof cover when I am done with this thing.
I will post photos later.
K

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
youll have a good reliable sled when your done, i just rebuilt my 87 jag 440 last year and it starts first pull and is reliable as all heck, but i know about what your sayin about it being a bit slow, i can only get about 55 out of my jag, and with your sled being for trails it may be geared even slower but i just like these old cats!

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

·
Registered
134 Posts
i have an 80 panther 440 and it does just a mere 65...my dad put a fresh top end in it because some rats built a nest in btwn the cylinders. but if that never woulda happened it would still be running on the same cylinders pistons and gaskets...but we picked it up for $250$ and its my beater sled...its been through hell and back and hell again i have jumped it rolled whipped shittys on the ice with it and towed just about eveyrthing u can think of with it...trust me this cat is reliable...nuthing broke on it besides for the steering stem is a little loose but that will be fixed...uther then that it has good snap and nice get up and go...we almost bought a trail cat it was an 80...this one dealer wanted $995$ for it....the carbs werent synched and it barely ran...we were goona offer him $200$ for it cause the speedo nor the rpm gauge worked on it but some dumb ass bought it for $700$ o well his loss i wish he knew more about snowmobiling

Duct tape the only real solution

1 - 4 of 4 Posts