Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first post...I'm very happy that I found this forum, and i'm looking forward to being a part of it.

After borrowing friend's sleds for years (thanks friends), I picked up my own. I looked at quite a few, and settled on an a 1982 Ski Doo Blizzard 9500. I know its an older sled, although I dont mind doing a bit a work, and its in excellent condition already. I have two things I need to straighten out, that were small problems last season, both have to do with changes made to the sled by the previous owner, that i'm a little unfamiliar with, and have little information about.

Clutch problems: as these sleds are noted for i guess, so he installed a Comet clutch, i think i remember he said its setup for 3500rpm but i could be totally wrong. Problem: sometimes, especially when the sled is cold, it will not move, and if i give it gas, will just sit and smoke the belt / wear down a section of it, once sled is going, its ok, and will hook up good, but if i come to a stop, sometimes i have to give it a little push, sometimes its ok. Belt was new last year. Think maybe the clutch is set to high?

Other thing I would like to nail is, the previous owner told me to premix oil/fuel, something about the oil injection system is messed up and failed, he had to do a rebuild a few years ago when it cooked the engine, and told me to do a premix, and not to rely on the injection system. Do i want to run this engine at a 50:1? Also whats a good, low-smoke oil, for these older sleds? This liquid cooled rotax starts up one pull, everytime, and revs beautifully.

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can offer

Mike

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
why not just find out what happened to the oil injection system and fix it? thats what i would do but 50:1 would be a good start and i would do plug checks to see if it is too rich if so go to 40:1 and so on. now as for the belt is it the right size belt? it almost sounds like its too big. or its not engaging properly. i dont think its settoo high of a rev my sled is set to engage at 4800.

Ok belt dimensions for your sled are 1 5/16 in. x 44 in.
and the Manufacturers number is 1103 for the dayco max drive belt
And he said he switched to a comet but i believe comet are stock on those sleds but i could be wrong. anything else i find out ill try to let ya know

bobby

i cant take a day without my polaris Let alone a lifetime.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the post..

here's a bit more info..i looked further into the oil injection stuff, it looks as though there are some parts and hoses missing from the system, the guy must have just taken off.

maybe the belt i have is too narrow?? there is a spot where its worn down pretty thin, where the clutch was spinning against it, but didn't catch, along with a small pile of diced up rubber beneath :) i will definetaly double check the belt size...thanks a ton

1 - 3 of 3 Posts