Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just cleaned and adjusted the carbs for the secound time and It bogs out of the hole and holds a high idle sometime's. I tested the intake boots and crank seals for leaks and there was no change. I allso have the air/fuel screw's at 2 turns out form seat. Any Idea's??
Heres a vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATqhK1ehf0M

·
Registered
519 Posts
well judging by your vid. it sounded ok not much of a bog that i could hear but it did idle a little high, you could try adjusting the idle screws out just a little bit more like 2 1/4 ish ive had some sleds that like it around 2 1/2 -3 so it all depends on the sled.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Those are air screws on your carbs. The further out they are, the leaner it is on bottom end and makes the idle hang up sometimes. Try turning those back in some. As far as the bog, i didn't really here it in the video either, but the clutches did seem to engage pretty early. sometimes it helps to put a little higher engagement spring in those piston port engines, since they're not known for their bottom end as it is. Being an older sled like it is, the spring i'm sure is sacked out anyway unless someone has been in the clutches. The other thing is the belt condition. Alot of people assume bogging on the bottom end is a carb issue when really it can be a severly worn belt. Again, these piston port engines have bad bottom end as it is, now add a belt that is riding way to low in the secondary and the sled is trying to start out in too high of a gear and you can get one hell of a bog.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1fastxc said:
Those are air screws on your carbs. The further out they are, the leaner it is on bottom end and makes the idle hang up sometimes. Try turning those back in some. As far as the bog, i didn't really here it in the video either, but the clutches did seem to engage pretty early. sometimes it helps to put a little higher engagement spring in those piston port engines, since they're not known for their bottom end as it is. Being an older sled like it is, the spring i'm sure is sacked out anyway unless someone has been in the clutches. The other thing is the belt condition. Alot of people assume bogging on the bottom end is a carb issue when really it can be a severly worn belt. Again, these piston port engines have bad bottom end as it is, now add a belt that is riding way to low in the secondary and the sled is trying to start out in too high of a gear and you can get one hell of a bog.
Ok today i took the screws and turn them in till seat and turned them 1 turn out and also cleaned the clutch and now it come's in around 4200. And the bog is still there out of the hole but not a bad. I am going to put a new belt on and fine tune the carbs tomarrow. As for the high idel it goes away after it's warmed up good.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at the seld again today and found that it was flooding and won't start. This is with the choke at half. What i am thinking is the choke's are not adjusted right. I desided to remove the carbs again and go threw them again and make shure there clean. Will post tomarrow what I find.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It seems that you might have a needle and seat issue in the fuel bowl. The other thing when you are adjusting the air mixture screw if you do not know the right setting for your sled what I always do and from what I have learned in school and working at Bristow's is that you turn it in until it starts running ruff and then turn it out until it does the same and turn it back to the middle of the two. this will get you the right mixture. The other thing is that your floats could not be adjusted right making the level of fuel to low so that when you hit full throttle it will have a bogging issue. Try looking in to this and let us know what you come up with. Also air temp is a big thing as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts