Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am newer to snowmobiling and have a couple questions. 1) to lube the clutch prior to riding do I lube thru the cross-drilled holes or the smaller straight-in holes and what is best to use for lube? 2) my primary clutch has 3 hairline cracks in it,an inch or so long protruding from the center of the clutch and heading to the outer diameter, how serious is this as I just do mild trail riding? (the cracks are on the belt contact surface on the side of the clutch further away from the engine) 3) Is there an online diagram I can get of the suspension?...I need to get the 2 upper wheels at the top rear of the track and would like to call Polaris with a part # to check availability and price to save myself a trip just to order them. OK...so that was a FEW questions. Any help is appreciated, thanks
--Ron

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
For the 2 upper idler wheels, I got part# 1543017 for a '85 Indy 600. I believe the wheel is the same, but could be wrong. Here's a link to the diagrams:http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
A cracked clutch is bad. Bad bad. It should be replaced, before you have to replace your clutch guard and hood, or possibly your eye. Mild riding or not, 8000 rpm is still 8000 rpm.

I am not a clutch expert, but do not lube your clutch. They are meant to stay dry and clean.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called a polaris dealer today and their diagrams only went back to 85 also, I will have to try a different dealer on Friday and hope they have 83 listings. I hate to order a 85 part and have it be wrong.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
You can try here www.denniskirk.com and see if they have those wheels. May as well get the catalog while your there since it's free and comes in handy for cross referencing parts.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yah, replace the clutch. I believe the old 83 600 came with a close face clutch, I would get the newer P-85 (open face) clutch. better cooling and better belt life.

The 1983 600 is a great classic sled. The first year of the Indy 600. [:)]

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips and links![:)][attachment=49686]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Are you sure that is an 83? If the picture is of your sled then it looks like you have a taper tunnel on it, standard on todays sleds but not so on older iron. They switched over to a taper tunnel on the indys for the 86 model year. Just pointing out what I'm seeing. By the way, regardless of the year, that looks like one clean sled for it's age. Nice![:D]

·
Registered
520 Posts
83 Indies had a different trailing arm more oval not square as shown in your pic. Also no oil injection until 84 , back then 80 to 83 the sway bar was adjustable didnt use the sliding block in the trailing arms.

·
Registered
459 Posts
There are some very observant and knowledgable people in this post. Those observations are 100% correct. Very nice looking sled anyways![8D] This pictures would have to show a 86 or 87 Indy 600 with custom grahics. 87 was the last year of the original Indy 6.

Here is a photo from a magazine of a 83 600.

[attachment=49723]

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Boy......good thing I'm an auto tehnician and not a sled mechanic. This is my first "usable" sled and I bought it used from a friend of mine who also bought it used. He is a big Polaris fan so I assumed he was correct on the year and I had no reason to check, I just bought it with a bill-of-sale and not a regular title. Where can I find the year on this to be sure? It has been repainted so I may not find any stickers and stamping #s may be hard to see (where are they at?). Here is another pic from a different angle. Thanks guys.
--Ron [attachment=49761]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Where can I find the year on this to be sure?
There should be the year stamped on the side of the tunnel, on the throttle side.

·
Registered
520 Posts
We are just trying to help you out. Look at the front of engine under the exhaust " W ' manifold you might still have the engine serial tag on it should have a year first then the serial # of the engine. The tag is just foil tape back then .I still have my 83 600 Indy cost me $6200 back in the day its gone through a few engine 600 / 340 / 650 and now its a 440 fan for my kids to ride.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, hopefully I will find that sticker on the engine. I drove 45 minutes on Saturday to get a new used clutch w/o any cracks only to pull the old one off today and find that they gave me the wrong clutch!! Someone told me that some of the engines used a short shaft and some had a long shaft....if that is the case then mine has the short shaft-crank as the clutch I was sold slid right up against the engine without even grabbing the crank. By the way...if any of you out there are out techs and do not have a clutch removal tool, I found out that my steering wheel puller screws right into the clutch/ same thread pitch and size!! I put on a flat adaptor that came with the puller and it rests against the crank and allows the clutch to be pulled off without any harm to the crank. It is an older Matco puller but I am pretty sure they may all have the same size center bolt for the puller. Just thought I would throw that in any maybe save someone out there a few dollars for a clutch puller.

·
Registered
345 Posts
^^^i have a bunch of parts for that sled if your interested. seat and tank cover(blue and gold pin stripe) that is in perfect condition, i also have a set of ported cylinders, one needs repair from a melted piston,its not bad though. i thought about running a hone thru it and slapping a new piston in it. i have the rest of the engine also. ported 38mm carbs, they were ported to 39.5. and a set of stock 38mm carbs. a set of aaen pipes that i just got done sand blasting and repainting with black 1500 deg. paint. complete rear skid, the gold one. and some other misc. parts. if interested e-mail me at [email protected] and i will get you some prices

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice sled Barrmich, I glad you replied with the pic. So now I know for sure that my sled is an 86 or 87 which will help with parts orders (and will be easier to find.....Polaris dealers I talked to only have books going back to 84). I ended up with a rebuilt open-faced clutch that has been working great. How fast is your sled? I had mine out the other day for the first time where I was able to open it up but still has to shut it down because of the terrain and I had it up to about 67mph. My block says 83 but I have oil injection so obviously there have been some changes with this engine. It just amazes me how fast this sled "gets up and goes"...I may take it out again this weekend where I can get a longer run going to see if it tops the 67mph or not. SLOWMACH1, I will keep this post handy in case I need any parts from you....actually my throttle lever keeps turning on me because the plastic is cracked and the set screw will not tighten anymore, do you happen to have one of those?

·
Registered
345 Posts
i forgot to mention the cylinders are sleeved to a 650

1 - 19 of 19 Posts