Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 85 600 and was wondering if that engine leaked coolant into the engine at all. What happens when coolant gets in the the engine. Iam going to bore to a 650 pretty soon. Any pointers. Last winter I was riding and suddenly lost all my coolant in the engine or alot of it. and can't figure where it came from. I don't know if there is a crack some where in the cylinder or what.
Thanks

·
Registered
892 Posts
I am guessing that when you say, lost it in the engine, you are saying that you had anti-freeze in your cylinder block. I would be looking for a blown head gasket or cracked head.

/snofan/../images/users/baero/eyes.gif

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did your engine overheat or did you actually have a leak? If you have a leak into your engine, you will have coolant coming out your exhuast. I'm curious if it overheated, my 600 overheated last year and still haven't solved the problem. I replaced the head gaskets, oil pump belt (drives the water pump) and checked for blockage. Still overheats, tried purging the system like the owners manual requires and still no fix. There is three heat exchangers and I verified the coolant flow (first one hot, second warm and so on). Don't know what else to do, so probably going to take it to the dealer, see if they can't get it fixed for this winter.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
98RMK my bet would be you cracked the block when you over heated it. my 83 600 doesnt leak anything but gas into the motor (needs needles and seats).

Willy if i were you i wouldnt just bore that motor out to a 650 the walls on the cylinders are pretty thin to begin with. ide buy the 650 big bore kit sleeves for it and do it that way. its more expensive but also increases the reliablity of that motor. my sled has the big bore kit and triple decker pipes and now that i found out the guy who had it before me was an idiot and had 2 different types of pistons in it, it runs like a champ.

i cant take a day without my polaris Let alone a lifetime.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Willy that motor can be bored to a 650 with no problem at all. I have had a couple of older 600 motors with 660 big bore kits and they ran great. We use to run 440 TX pistons. All we had to do was cut the skirt off a little. I have even run 650 .010 over pistons without any problems. There is plenty of sleave to do the boring. I would also have the crank gone through if you do the big bore. Do the 650 big bore add a set of PSI or Aaen Pipes and you will have a rocket. Go for it Riley

good day

1 - 5 of 5 Posts