Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know why I haven't mentioned this before, but about a month ago my dads friend burndt down this 85 phazer. Not sure if it is a crank or a cylinder but I am leaning toward the crank. Were these sleds known for burn downs? It has about 5000 miles on it.
It started runnin crapy just before it stopped working. Then it quit and would not turn over. Before this it had not been run nor started for 3-4 years. Any suggestions.
Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Those old 485cc fan motors were bullet proof from what I've known about them. If it sat that long, there's a good chance that mice had built a nest in the airbox and it got sucked into the motor.

·
Registered
366 Posts
friend of mine has an 85 Phazer. It sat for a few years because he bought a new one. When he pulled the phazer out to fix it up so his g/f could ride it he pulled the motor apart. It had been condencing inside the crank and the crank bearings were rusting badly. He ende up parting out the sled and bought a new one. I am not sure if this is a common problem with these sleds but thats what happened to his.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
275 Posts
I agree with big dog, fogging is very important. You can also buy water removers that replace your spark plugs and turn colours when they have absorbed so much moisture.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Fogging, essentially, is running the engine and injecting "2-stroke engine fogger" until it dies. It's a light to middlin' weight oil with preservatives in it. It gets it's name from the amount of smoke it blows out the exhaust as you "fog" it. Some carbs (on Sea-Doo's anyway) have attachments or "fogging holes" to facilitate this procedure, your dealer would know exactly how, or perhaps someone out there w/ the same sled. I've had 4 Yami 485's and they're all still running (as far as I know...sold to friends). The '87 Phazer has over 10,000 mi on it and has never been torn-down for anything!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts