Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '85 Indy idles at 4100 rpms... and it should idle at 2100-2200 rpms. I have purchased the Clymers Manual for it but I am confused where it explains how to do the idle...

Here is what it says...

"6. Turn one carburetor idle speed screw clockwise until it touches the carburetor side. Then turn the screw 2 turns clockwise. Repeat for each carburetor."

That is exactly what this manual says, and I dont know what to do from here. The screws turn kind of hard... The carburetor should probably be cleaned, I havent done it in awhile... I really dont want to take the choke and throttle cables off, since I dont have the tools to do it right...

The idle screws probably only turn about one turn when you back them off going counter-clockwise.

My question to you is where do I go from here. Will it hurt to experiment having the screws at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, or 1 complete turn?

Thanks,
-Rob

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Ok, first take the carbs off and clean them, take the jets out and clean all the passage ways. Make sure the floats are adjusted properly. Your Clymer manual should walk you through this process. You don't need ANY special tools for this. Just some screw drivers and wrenches.

To adjust your throttle cables and idles, first back the idle screws out (counter clock wise) about three full turns. This will make sure the slides in the carbs are being supported by your throttle cables only. You HAVE to adjust your throttle cables first.

Now you need the next size drill bit down from 3/16" (I forget what it is). Insert this drill bit into the carb opening. Now loosen the locknut on the throttle cable (on top of the carb) and begin to turn the threaded rod that goes into the top of the carb. This will adjust the height of the slides. You want them so they are JUST touching the drill bit. Do the same for each carb, and when this is achieved, tighten down the locknut. Your throttle cables are now synced.

Now take the 3/16" drill bit (one size up from what you just used). Open the throttle and insert the bit back into the carb, let the throttle close down onto the bit. Now adjust the idle screw (clock wise) until the slide just touches the bit (you can slide the bit in and out, with a slight drag from the slide). Do the same for the other carb. Now your idle is synced.

You may also want to check your choke cables as well to make sure they're adjusted properly and to spec. You need to do all of the adjustments (throttle cable, idle, choke cables) with the carbs ON the cylinder and the cables routed the way they are when you ride.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Oh ya it has always idled this high. Iam not sure why. I have tried to adjust the screws still dosn't change idle to much. But like I said it has always idled this high and it seems to be fine.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Thats really too high. If your throttle cables are adjusted too high, it doesn't matter how far out you turn your idle screws. The idle won't change if the slides are being held that high from the throttle cables.

Thats why you need to ajust the throttle cables to spec FIRST, then adjust the idles. Try it out, you'll see.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanks Tfin70! I will go through the carbs when I get the chance. Also, what kind of carb cleaner do you recomend? I didnt really want to have to clean the carbs, just lazy I guess, but I will do it...[:)]

Also it sounds like my sled has a bog when you start it, its not bad though... I just got done reading "*** SOLVED!! *** '97 Indy 500 SKS Bogggging" and I suspect that my pilot jets might also be gummed up...

Thanks for all the help!

-Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts