Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe some guys/gals here will like this more than the other forum I posted it on haha

Got a free 86 Cougar from a friend who picked it up off the side of the hwy (literally). He doesn't have much a mechanic background and when he got it back and realized the motor was toast, he gave it to me to play with haha.

Went to the snow show at the puyallup fair grounds a few weeks back and scored a complete, looks to be in decent shape, 530 cat motor for the grand total of...$30! Luckily it bolted into the sled with zero issues, and I have spent a few days here and there getting it all assembled. This is the first sled I have ever worked on/built so it's been really fun to take on something new.

the engine when we got it, this is how it was sitting in the sled

New 530 installed

So far I have nearly everything hooked up besides the air box. I found all the brake parts so I have to finish that up and install the belt and it should theoretically be ready to go for a test drive.

The biggest thing I have left to do is fab up some radiators. I plan on using a pair of small aluminum dirt bike ones (cause you can get em used for about $20 a piece) and see how well they can keep the engine cooled. If not, I may get crafty and fab some heat exchanger setup in the back.

Anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for this sled??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see how radiators are not proven to work?

Main reason is a lot less fab work. If they don't cool effectively, I can see how much extra is needed. Figured why not start cheap an easy, and if it works it saves time an money, If not, i'm not really out anything but time and a coupe bucks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts