Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i am new to the site and to the whole sled world. I recently got an '86 cougar 500 from my uncle (first one). It was running fine until a week ago. It just died. After numerous pulls it started but has ran like crap since. It feels like it is bogged down all the time (no high rev - flooding) and i think I heard a couple of backfires. I changed plugs (good spark on both). I checked compression (100 in one and 102 in the other). I pulled the carb and it was clean. I am at a loss now. Please if anyone can help out a rookie I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Did you remove main jets and clean hole in jets when you had out carbs? Did you check your float heights? Is the gas fresh? Are your fuel lines leaking? Is your gas tank vent line kinked or pluged? are your chokes adj. properly and seating? Are all your electrical connectors by stator clean and dry? Is your impulse line in good shape and connected properly between block and fuel pump?

Just some ideas.
Good luck.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i'm not an expert at sleds either if you give it nice steady throttle and i goes fine but when you wide open it and it falls on its face that would sound like it had a lack of fuel if it doesn't make a difference then maybe you have a week spark if you can get your hands on a spark tester that would help you eliminate that option or it is also possible that something on one of your clutches fell apart
hope you get it fixed and have fun riding

·
Registered
30 Posts
i would check the jet needle. i had a simular prob. with myn.
the clip washer on the needle was gone and it backfired,bogged out,and just
ran like ****.check out browns leisure world. you find your sled and see
the part i mean. very self explanitory.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts