Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a free 86 indy 400 with 2800 miles on it and in real good shape. I rebuilt the carbs, replaced all the gas and oil lines. I bought an oil pump for it It didn't seem to be working. The new one pumps it but it's hard to tell at idle how much she's sucking/pumping. I checked the output by taking the injector hoses off. At the idle setting, it very slowly drips. When I pull the oil cable as if it were wide open she starts to pour out a bit faster. Is there any way to tell if it's working properly? I have gas and oil mixed in her now. It had a, well what appeared to be an in line oil filter. It seemed to restrict the oil a bit, after the oil filter the line would not be full. Seemed wrong so I took it out. Do I need one and what type of filter is this, oil/fuel? It looks like a cone shaped in line fuel filter. Then the foam around the air box is gone is there a chance I could run it lean by not having that? Should I make one out of foam? Is there any other foam or content in the air box? Nothing in there now.

Other wise she seems quite eager to go, took it for a little grass drag in town. Just a little snow here in Madison maybe this weekend.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It does not pump very much, sounds like its working as it should. I would run a tank of premix through it and top off the oil to the rim, and see how much oil you use within the tank of gas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts