Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to get one really cheap with the trailer I'm getting. Are they good sleds, are the triple carbs finiky? Just want to know all I can about it before I buy it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had an 85 600... it was the first sled I ever owned. I think the only difference was that the 85 didn't have a tapered tunnel and the 86 did apart from graphics. It was quick and handled superior to everything else in them days. Typical old Polaris issues include wore out clutches, all bearings (jackshaft, chaincase, driveshaft, all rear suspension) and wore out front shocks, and front suspension bushings. Check the track too. If it is original, it is done by now. The old triples sound awesome, and can be made to run quick, however a tuned xc440 of today will probably go by it. In my opinion, if you get it really cheap and are mechanically inclined go for it. It would be a great summer project, and you will learn alot. Arguably the newer sleds really are not all that different.

will
past sleds:
85 indy 600
89 indy trail
93 xlt
94 indy 440
97 xcr600

currently
97 storm
78 txl/650 water cross sled

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I need a trailer, I just got my first sled an 88 exciter. So now I can get this Indy, an 84 Arctic cat Panther (that one I'd probably just put at the cabin and leave there), and a trailer all for $800. I need the trailer and I could use another sled, especially since mine's not real new. Sounds good to me, I'm going to go look at it next week so I'll look for those things. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Sounds like a very good deal..

·
Registered
3 Posts
well, it was the 2nd last year that they were making the 600 triple. As you know they went with the 650 in 88. The sled had the 3 cylinders under 1 gasket. Pouf, was commonly or often heard by the #2 cylinder. If you can grab a 88, I would hold off IMHO.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmmmm...I'm not trying to get that specific sled so an 88 wouldn't really make me that happy, it's just that I need a trailer and while I'm at it I might as well get a couple of old sleds. I could use the arctic cat to put at my cabin to get here and there and I could use the Indy to have a little fun, then if it blows up, who cares, it's not like I'm in to it that much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts