Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at picking up a 86 indy 600 for 150 bucks needs a little work jackshaft upper sprocket and drive chain has about 2000 miles on it.is it possible to install and xtra 12 on it.im thinking about restoring it to 100%.i was wondering if anybody previously owned or does own now one of these models.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I owned one, biggest POS I ever had, would not start to save your a**.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I have an '86 Indy 600 LE in my garage right now. I am storing it for my dad. I, unlike xcr440, think it is one of the best sleds ever made. This particular one has over 13,000 miles on it. I hope to get it out for a few rides this winter. Definitely, it was THE muscle sled of the time.

I would not recommend an XTRA-12 for that machine. Maybe an XTRA-10, but the front end only has 6 or 7 inches of travel, and sits fairly low. Restore it to original and enjoy the crap out of it. If you ever get tired of it, let me know.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just wanted to restore it for something to do and to have another backup sled just in case ya know.im pretty much pickin it up to restore and just for something to do.do you know if i have to have a specific jackshaft for the year or will any late 80's early 90's jackshaft work?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Get the part number for the jackshaft. You can then compare it to any jackshaft you would like to buy. They should be the same for any Indy of that year. I believe some time in the late '80s or early '90s the jackshaft changed.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info.i cant even locate a jackshaft for that year on line so i gotta call around to some snowmobilesalvage yards

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Try here http://jrparts.com/

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had one few years back, to this day that old chassis is fun to ride.
I'd go with a x-10 also, not the 12

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
xcr440=sent the e-mail hopefully they got one!

xcr800=did you have many problems with yours??if so are they common problems?

·
Registered
520 Posts
They had problems with the rails back then . Later model used steel washers between the rail and steel arms this stopped the steel arms from wearing into the aluminum rail. Take a look at the front arm where it is mounted to the rail behind the small plastic roller that the spring rides on. These bolts would back off and oval the holes out. I think the jackshaft changed when they went to a splined brake disc you should have a keyway in yours. Not sure which year but think its when the used the new top loading brake pads.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so i may be in for more than i bargained for when it comes to the rails?could this mean i have to get a whole new skid?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts