Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have an 87 super jag, 440cc, spirit 400 engine, The sled starts, fine, and runs good for about 5-10 mins, then it dies and couphs and couphs, but it spell idles, I give her a little thorttle, and couph like it s a smoker. Next day, I would start her her, drive for 10 mins or so, and couph, couph, die die, couph. I have no probs starting her when it dies like this, but then it dies and couphs soon as i try some throttle, this problems came in really fast, and hasnt left. Leting the sled sit for an hour or 2, and i can get 10 more mins outta her before she "boggs"
it only started this prblem in the last 2 weeks.
here is some info to help with the problem

compression left 116, right 112
clean fresh gas
running new plugs BR9ES
plugs are a dark brown, to a tan, and dry
oil is clean
carb is clean
running stock engine parts
main jet is 200
38mm round slide carb
airscrew is set properly
lights work
sparking blue

PLEASE help, I love my cat, and hate to put it down

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Plugged airbox??? Squirrels luv it in there??

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Hmmm...a long shot but...try the choke curcuit? You say it's a round slide so it probably doesn't have a true "choke". I honestly kinda doubt that's the problem tho...maybe another could give you better info...sorry...

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I forgot...we'll get someone to help, as you can NEVER put a good ol' cat out of it's misery!!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Actually, thinkin' 'bout it now it must have a carb problem. if it runs OK for 5 minutes then starts choking ensure the needle and seat valves are not plugged. Any help???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, thing is, it runs super till it bogs, I can do 360's no prob, and it has a 156" track, BUT, then it dies, and chugs, boogs, dies, stupifies, still idles, ill give an example tongiht

I got the brakes replaced today, and went to he dealer, as i drove it to the ramp, and did a few skid outs, was running great. Loaded it up, got a coffee, unloaded it, drove around the block, and halfway there lost all popwer and had to idle back home in disgust and parked it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, thinkin' 'bout it now it must have a carb problem. if it runs OK for 5 minutes then starts choking ensure the needle and seat valves are not plugged. Any help???

actully, i was planning to rip[ apart the fuel pump tommorow, that "could" do it, my father also said use BR8ES plugs out

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
have ya checked out the electrical sytem??

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Not so sure about the fuel pump...but maybe. As for electrical...run it, make it crap on itself like you said, then pull the plugs and see what the spark looks like (remember to be safe!!!)

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
after that you could chk the continuity of the CDI set, but you'd need a Clymer's Guide for the correct specs

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<<after that you could chk the continuity of the CDI set, but you'd need a Clymer's >>Guide for the correct specs

how would i test the CDI ?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
multimeter into it. 1st before it craps, and then after. see if it reads the same ohms.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
25 C!!!... isn't that like 60 F!!!!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
OH...whew...that's cold...where u at?? I'm in Alaska and it 45 F right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts