Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I finally have my 87 Tundra up and running - thanks for your advice, comments, and suggestions.

I have ordered a shop manual and should be able to keep on top of things more readily once the manual gets here.

I plan on tearing my Tundra down this summer and checking over every nut, bolt, bushing, etc. to ensure that I do not have any suprises next year while out on the trail. I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer their words of wisdom regarding this project. Has anyone ever rebuilt a Tundra motor before? Are there any problems that I can expect or should watch out for?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
115 Posts
All I have and ride are Tundra's. I haven't rebuilt any of them though. One thing I would suggest...and I dont think an 87 had it is to ditch the oil injection and just mix it. Too many bad things have happened with this setup...it aint worth it!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep .... my driven pulley support wasn't as it should be, which resulting in my chaincasing cracking .... that further resulted in my engine support bracket snapping. I changed the chaincasing and had the bracket welded, with an additional piece welded on for extra support.

Just to make sure, this summer I am taking it right down and building it back up again so that every bushing, bolt, and bracket is guaranteed to last. Last weekend I walked 8 or 9 miles back to the truck, so I figure better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
All I could tell you is I had one and it was GREAT...probably won't find much wrong with it. One of the Top 3 all-around best sleds ever made!!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi RotaxAtax

That is what I have always heard and when I decided to get my own, a Tundra was a natural choice. I figure that once I have this one all figured out in terms of required initial maintenance (replacing worn parts, etc.), then with regular maintenance thereafter it will see me through many a trail.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have 3 Tundra's, 2 newer and an 93. The 93 you can point vertical and it will go....and finally dig itself in. The newer ones you can point vertical and it will get to a point where they will just power out, without breaking loose. We need to find out why and can't figure it out.

I was riding in bottomless powder the other day, I was breaking trail for the big sleds. ;) IT ended up like putting your truck in 4th great at 5 mph and flooring it...nothing! I removed all the pucks from the clutch last year, thought it helped. I think I even had the primamry spring tightened one notch.
Sure wish we could figure out why these new ones wont break loose in a situation like that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Another thing I just thought of with that era Tundra.

BE SURE your motor mounts are tight and not cracked. I have seen a few where they rattle the mounts loose and shift and wipe out the crank...that fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts