Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went through this last year at begining of season and had to bring it somewhere through frustration.I go to start my sons 88 eltigre and no spark?Tried unplugging safety switch[:(] didnt work,unplugged ignition nothin works again.I drove this on the trailer at end of last season and it wont have spark in the fall.Did the same thing last year,I fooled around with it and couldnt get it running,brought it somewhere and it was running in an hour.Anyone with suggestions please post so I dont have to bring it somewhere for $100 for a little trick they know.Im a lil frustrated.THANX[V]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Makk98,

I have a possable answer for you. You are on the right track with the idea of trying to eliminate the various switches to get spark. BUT....are you just unplugging them to try to get spark? Many Arctic Cats from that era, like my 1988 Wildcat, are a closed to run ignition system as opposed to the vast majority of sleds, which are open curcuit to run. To clarify, if this sled is closed to run, unplugging a kill switch or key switch will make spark impossable. You would need a jumper wire to get bypass a switch and get spark. Otherwise, somebody could hold the two wires that plugged in to the switch to each other to check, I suppose. When a kill button is pushed to stop, it opens the curcuit on this system, just like when you unplug it. When the switch is set for run, it closes the curcuit, or completes it.

If you check the underhood area over good, it may have a tag or sticker that says open or closed to run to confirm this. I would think the problem might still be bad switch. Also, check the plugs for damage or corrosion if the switch checking don't pay off.

Good luck.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the kill switch needs to be jumped also?

·
Registered
282 Posts
all cats thru 97 are a closed circuit to run,so if you want to check switches just use your by pass plug to eliminate all switches then go from there

·
Registered
25 Posts
I never thought that the sled might have a by-pass plug. If it does, that might work. If it does, it will be up around where the bars exit the cowl. My 1988 Wildcat doesn't have one, but it was a factory race sled. My 1981 Scorpion Sidewinder, built by Cat, had a closed system, also without a bypass. To bypass all external wiring problems, they recommended a jumper replace the main wiring harness. This wire would jump the brown lead in the engine 4-wire plug to the black lead in the engine 4-wire plug. I don't have access to wiring scheme for your sled, but the engine alone will be simular. If still no spark when the engine is isolated, the problem is with the engine electrical....CDI, coil, stator, etc. My 1996 EXT had a bypass, but I never used it. I did eliminate the throttle safty switches from the carbs. Your sled might have those.

Let us know how you are fairing with the problem. OK? Good luck.

·
Registered
282 Posts
the bypass should be plugged into the 4 pin plug coming from the stator,all cats thru 97 should have the plug and know where it goes,ive seen people tow machines for miles with a faulty key switch

·
Registered
28 Posts
The jumpers I've seen are just that, a rubber plug with a wire that comes out then back in. It bypass everything, the carb switches, the kill, key and tether too.
Also try cleanning the grounds and unplug and replug the wires.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyone know where to get a wiring schematic online?

·
Registered
282 Posts
on the 4 pin you have lighting coil and mag wires ,lighring is yellow and the mag should be blk to brn it will fit only one way

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I jumped the bypass and she fired up.It ran for about 8 min. and died.I tried to get it going again to no avail.Immediately pulled put spare plug in wire and held in my hand pulled and no spark again,held against block and nothing.So now i dont know what to think,somethings crapping out,what would work sporadically like that cdi usually works or it dont I think..

·
Registered
282 Posts
phone your dealer and ask him for the values to check your primary ignition,secondary ignition,you are going to get a bunch of wire colors and values to write down,check them cold and again hot after it dies and you should find your problem right there,best to use a digital ohm meter

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It has no spark again so it will not start.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just told by a dealer if you have no spark with switches bypassed,to take off cdi and hold a hair dryer on it to get it heated up.plug back in and if you get spark than the cdi is bad.Havent tried yet but will let you guys know.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a sled to try out my cdi on and was junk so ill try that and see what happens.Why are there so many different cdi's?I have a couple similar cat's but they list diff cdi by the book,what is the diff,has anyone tried one that wasnt exact one it called for.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Originally posted by makk98
[br]I found a sled to try out my cdi on and was junk so ill try that and see what happens.Why are there so many different cdi's?I have a couple similar cat's but they list diff cdi by the book,what is the diff,has anyone tried one that wasnt exact one it called for.
You'll like this, A while back I had 88 Cougar 500,the CDI took a crap.The stealership was closed so I was digging through boxes of various parts when I stumbled across a CDI with the same connecters and tried it,she fired right up and ran great!The CDI I found was off a 77 Suzuki RM 125!!!!Never give up,never surrender.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bet I can find one with the same connections,so maybe I will try.It cant hurt anything else can it?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I stole a cdi off an 83 cat in back of a friends house the thing was trashed,but it looked similar.I put it on and it fired up,but it doesn't run the same doesn't seem to have the same power.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts