Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no power to headlight, brake light, warmers, tach - nothing. It starts and runs fine but nothing else works. If anyone has a schematic, I would appreciate it.

The voltage regulator is new, so I'm thinking a simple short or disconnect.[:(!]

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I don't have a schematic, but check the grounds too.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ground seems to be fine. If it was a ground I don't think I would have ignition voltage so I kinda ruled that out.

·
Registered
366 Posts
my brother has a 91 cougar and on the way home last night all the power to his accessories went out too (lights, Visor plug, hand warmers) We got back late and I haven't looked yet. Are these electrical systems fused?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I couldn't find any fuse link. This one is puzzling me. I would like a diagram before I go into the stator or anything.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Are the lights completly gone or are they just very dim?

·
Registered
366 Posts
on my brother's the lights and stuff went dim for a short time then went out. Sled still runs great though.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Riche, thats probably the voltage regulatior than.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
on mine I've got nothing. No glow at all and no votage on a meter. Can I measure voltage going into the regulator and what should I expect to see?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone know if there is a sepparate lighting coil on cats around this year? I think both the ignition and lighting come off the same coil, but I'm not sure. If it's different, maybe the lighting coil is bad??

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a 1989 Cougar the lighting coil is under the magneto. Also check out this link

www.brownsleisureworld.com go to parts online, snowmobile to 1988 select model, then to magneto and you will see the lighting coil.[:D]

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Wigga. If I knew which wires, I could check the coil without tearing it apart though.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The same happend to my on my old sled, and it was a defect lightning coil

·
Registered
366 Posts
went out today to bring my brother's sled back to my house so we could try to find the light problem. Tried to start it and the motor would not turn over. The sled ran fine right up till we turned it off. So i towed the sled to my truck and we had to lift it on. You don't realise how heavy they r till you have to lift them.

Any way got it home pulled off the top end of the motor no problem everything looks perfect. So then i removed the recoil and fan pulley. the next thing i saw was little copper wires hanging out the holes in the fly wheel. I didn't have time to pull off the fly wheel but i am sure that is where the problem is. But what the heck would cause this kind of a problem. I have been riding sleds since i was 6 and i have never heard of anything like this. Ok well i'll let you know what i find tomorrow when i remove the flywheel

Rich

1 - 15 of 15 Posts