Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here goes the long story. I bought a '88 eltigre 5000 last spring with a blown motor. I bought a used 440 off ebay and put it in. She fired in three pulls and ran/idled like a champ. I put it away and know that it's cold and we've got more snow then we've had is years it won't run worth a snot. It's really boggy in the mid range and then all of a sudden takes off in the top end. It won't idle and when I rev it for a while and left off it'll just die, I can't keep it going. It's also starting to backfire now. I've cleaned the carbs it's got 27.5 pilots and 260 mains (1476ft and 0-'20 celcius where I am) with the needles on the second leanest. It's running rich according to the plugs but accordding to the carb settings it's shouldn't be. Its got new gas in it. My next thought is spark. I've got a new coil, new plugs, they stator checks out okay and it's shooting blue fireballs out of the plugs. Could it be that the timings off? And if so, then why did it run in the spring? It's not the clutch because when I pull the belt off it still bogs. I've also got a set of factory twin pipes from a 530 on it. I don't think it's the pipes because it was doing this before I put them on, plus with pipes and my carb settings if anything it should be lean. One exhaust gasket is leaking and there's alot of black grease, gas, slime (whatever you wanna call it) leaking out so it seems rich, but why? Does anyone have any ideas? All this great snow is going to waste on me, help!!

Dave

·
Registered
393 Posts
daver36 said:
Okay, here goes the long story. I bought a '88 eltigre 5000 last spring with a blown motor. I bought a used 440 off ebay and put it in. She fired in three pulls and ran/idled like a champ. I put it away and know that it's cold and we've got more snow then we've had is years it won't run worth a snot. It's really boggy in the mid range and then all of a sudden takes off in the top end. It won't idle and when I rev it for a while and left off it'll just die, I can't keep it going. It's also starting to backfire now. I've cleaned the carbs it's got 27.5 pilots and 260 mains (1476ft and 0-'20 celcius where I am) with the needles on the second leanest. It's running rich according to the plugs but accordding to the carb settings it's shouldn't be. Its got new gas in it. My next thought is spark. I've got a new coil, new plugs, they stator checks out okay and it's shooting blue fireballs out of the plugs. Could it be that the timings off? And if so, then why did it run in the spring? It's not the clutch because when I pull the belt off it still bogs. I've also got a set of factory twin pipes from a 530 on it. I don't think it's the pipes because it was doing this before I put them on, plus with pipes and my carb settings if anything it should be lean. One exhaust gasket is leaking and there's alot of black grease, gas, slime (whatever you wanna call it) leaking out so it seems rich, but why? Does anyone have any ideas? All this great snow is going to waste on me, help!!

Dave
I,d soak the carbs again overnight and install some new needle and seats.Also make sure the pilot jets are clean and you can see light through as this new methynol gas can gum them up in a hurry.Another option is to try running some Lucas sea foam in the tank and take it for a rip up and down a field and see what happens.Sounds like carb troubles to me but i could be wrong.let us know how ya make out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just cleaned the carbs, I could read a book with the light comming through. How would new seats and needles help? These are the ones that came on the sled for this area? (This isn't suppose to sound mad, I'm just wondering)

·
Registered
393 Posts
daver36 said:
I just cleaned the carbs, I could read a book with the light comming through. How would new seats and needles help? These are the ones that came on the sled for this area? (This isn't suppose to sound mad, I'm just wondering)
Needle and seats are the parts the float controls to regulate fuel flow into the float bowl.I think your referring to the main jet a metering rod/needle jet.

·
Registered
591 Posts
you cannot really check needles and seats, they are good or bad, ie they dribble or seal. I do not know if arctic cats have viton tipped needles, or steel ones, the steel ones tend to wear out over time, the viton ones I have never seen wear out. If you buy replacement one, ask for viton tipped ones, they last much longer. I know that parts unlimited sells them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts