Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to put a shim kit in on my 88 exciter. I have the sled up in the air and have loosened one of the bolts for the scissor arms on the front suspension. The nut came off but the bolt does not want to come out. I can see where the other shims are but can't get the bolt out. Has anyone done this type of repair before and is there a way to get the bolt out that I don't know about? I have tried beating the thing out but I don't want to damage the bolt.
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
You have to make sure the scissor arms do nat have any kind of load on them which also means you may have to lift up on one of the arms a little. I have not seen the setup that you are working with but, I am familiar with the situation. Also if it is some kind of spring tension you are working with be carefull you don't snag a finger or something when the bolt finally comes out.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and

Here is the front suspension picture. According to the micro fiche it looks like there is a bushing inside. Is my only choice to cut the bolts off and replace it bushings and bolts?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes I have! The bolt in the scissor joint slides into a bushing.You probably have noticed the bolt will turn freely but will not slide out. You will have to beat the bolt out, but it's best done with some heat and a punch. If you mushroom the end of the bolt your gonna really hate yourself. Use a bit of penetrating oil and once you get it started it will come out fairly easily. I found i had to tap it back in and out gaining a bit more each time. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Another good idea to start it is to put the nut on the bolt part way so you can hit it with a hammer, then take the nut off at the last minute.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dooski 700 the top bolt is hooked to a U joint as you can see in the picture does that one come off the same way? Also I thought that this was going to be an easy job. What a pain.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah. A big pain. Let me go out to the garage and check. Your picture is not showing up my my computer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If it's the same as mine, there is no nut and the bolt threads into the other have of the shock tower. Be careful when you loosen this one. if it is seized to the front half it will try to split the tower body.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What a bite this has been. Tried using penetrating oil and knocking the bolts out. Finally gave up and cut them out with the recip saw. If all else fails hack it off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Any Luck Jim?
Just wondering if you got the shim kit in.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On one side. I wrecked a couple of the bushings on the other side using my recip saw cutting them out. They were frozen in there solid with rust. Kinda welded the cut off bolt to the bushing. Tried to take the ball hammer and punch to knock it out but won't budge. I got a quad to pick up that was in for service and it's also a yamaha snowmobile dealership. I'll just order them from there tommorrow. Tired of beating on the thing. I think I should be able to still order them. I got a question though. I want to put new slides on. Where does the track loosen? I have got 2 sleds to do both older Yamaha's with the same type of track. Do I just loosen the track and beat them out one of the track holes? Never done this job before. I was looking at it for a couple minutes today and couldn't see where to loosen the track. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Start with loosening the rear wheel nuts and this will loosen the axle. The adjuster bolts can be reached with a 9/16 socket through the holes in the rear of the track. You will have to remove the phillips screw at the front of the rail first. Then just tap the old slide out the rear of the track with a hammer and old screwdriver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts