Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an 88 exciter and the steering is loose. Now it looks like I think they are called hiem joints up front near the ski's maybe worn out. Do these wear out on this sled easy? I have found them on extreme motorsports website and are quite pricey. I was thinking maybe I could pick them up at the local hardware or are these hardened steel? Thanks

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
every exciter iv seen is loose like that. my dads is and all the ones iv seen at the dealerships are too. i donno if there suposed to b or just wear out easy

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
this is a common problem. the steering being loose on the exiter and the phazer with the tss teliscopic strut suspension. dennis kirk sells a shim kit to fix the play in the steering it is like 24.00 i think. this will or should cure the problem i was looking at my friends 87 phazer today and he has to get one of these kits to. all the kit consists of is like washers and such. but its made just for the older yamahas with the tss like exciters and phazer. just go to www.denniskirk.com and look around somewheres on there they got it if u need me to look up the part number let me know and i will. good luck.[8D]

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
i guess i was alittle off on the price it is 33.99 and here is the part number#25-999 this kit will take most of the play out of the steering for ya [:D]

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like what I need. Thanks. I have a 90 srv with the pogo stick front end but that doesn't have the loose steering like the exciter.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I just used the shim kit on my 87' Exciter. The kit just consists of very thin machined stainless steel and special plastic washers. Just add as many as you need until the play is gone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tried them on my 87 Exciter. What a mess!

A couple of the bolts broke. Normally this would not be a big deal. However, The bolts were rusted/fused to the bushings. This means that they would not slide out. I had to use a saw to cut through the stock washers and bolts on both sides of each joint. I finally got it back together and it was better. Of course it had all new bolts, bushings and washers.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I think it's somewhere in the 80s.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well my ExciterII im guessing is putting out around 100, i know that the engine in the exciterII puts out more power than the normal exciter because of something done to there engines ( something about the pistans...i cant remember) plus My DG Pipe adds around 12 hp and i have had cluch work done so i am getting more power to the ground.....i let my uncle ride it last night and he said it felt like it had atleast 100 hp...i know they have a 2002 MXZ 500 LC and my ExciterII would walk him.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got a 1991 exciter with an aaen pipe wich they say adds 10 hp and wiseco pistons put in last year. any idea what kind of hp or top speed im going to get out of this thing. still another month yet till snow up here and i am dying to know what it's going to do!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts