Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just putting this sled back together....looks like i need a clutch side bearing for the driveshaft...my question is do I have to have that special bearing with the shoulder on it, or can I use a standard bearing (the same ones i have been using for the idler wheels)....The standard bearing fits but its less rounded and does not have that raised shoulder on it. also...anyone know what the compression should be on a 400 L/C? I got 95 psi both cylinders but it was with one of those compression testers with the long hose attached....I know from past experience that the long hose can give you a 5 - 10 psi lower reading...so I think i should be around 100-105 psi (and it runs great...easy to start and lots of power)...Someone told me that the 400 had a somewhat low compression ratio, meaning that when rebuilt the compression should only be at about 110 or so,,,but i have yet to confirm this....

any input is aprreciated
-nick

·
Registered
700 Posts
You can also get that berring from the dealer with two set screws instead of the lock collar. They work nicer and are more simple to take off or install. I replaced my drive and jack shaft berrings with them when i did my 88 400

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whats the purpose of the lock collar if the bearing is sandwiched between the bearing retainers? I hope the local dealer has one in stock but polars dealers around here are about as useful as a lemonade stand when it comes to snowmobile parts....basically every part is 2 weeks away...geographical anomaly no doubt [:D]

·
Registered
520 Posts
You should be able to source both these bearings at any auto parts store . The collar locks the bearing to the shaft the retainer holds the shaft from walking into the chaincase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
High Performance Engineering can get you a standard 1" bearing with collar for $10 bucks your dealer will want over $40. You can splurge and get the higher end NTN bearing from HPE also for less then $20 bucks. They ship fast and are good to work with to. Just google their name it should be www.hiperf.com I believe though

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Originally posted by harmankardon35
[br]Whats the purpose of the lock collar if the bearing is sandwiched between the bearing retainers?
keeps the jackshaft from spinning w/o the bearing turning also. All it'd take is a little clearance and the bearing wouldnt turn all the time and the jackshaft would get worn down. One of my first sleds had that happen to it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah but the way this lock collar is set up, it doesnt lock to the bearing just holds against the bearing and locks on the driveshaft....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts