Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an 88 indy 650. i took it out when i gave it full throttle it would cause a clunk in the track. Then i was taking it back to the house to work on it and it died on me and it wont start back up. it seems like it wants to start but then dies and gets harder to pull the more i pull it. Could this be dirty carbs, bad killswitch?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
First off check for gas, spark and compression. Then clean the carbs if it has all of those.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
has spark. in all threee cylinders. it is getting gas. and i hav 135 psi in all three cylinders. see but what i dont understand is why it just shut off on me after running great for an hr and a half.

·
Registered
54 Posts
check the inline fuel filter just past the fuel shut off. also check the pickup line in the tank, if that breaks it wont pick up gas below half tank. have had both problems on my 650s

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
If you have the 3 basics, compression, fuel and spark it's gotta be something silly. Pull the airbox off and give it a squirt of fresh gas directly into the carbs. If it fires then you know there is an issue with the carb(s) or fuel. Sometimes if the sled has been sitting a while it's totally worth the trouble to take the tank off drain the old fuel and wash it out, then replace with fresh premium gas. While you've got it out pull the pick up out and check it or replace it with the line. Run new fuel lines to all carbs and replace the filter. Check the vaccuum line going to the fuel pump. Crack open the pump to check for debris or gunk on the diaphrams, replace if suspect. Take apart all 3 carbs and ensure they are clean and setup properly. Also check your carb boots for cracking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts