Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out on the first ride of the season on my sled, and my speedometer buys the farm. Im thinkin its a broken/stuck/faulty cable, but im not sure where the cable goes to take a reading or what else could possibly be wrong. Any pointers?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
the cable runs down the hood under the bulkhead to down on the bottom of the tunnel. there you will find a hookup for the cable. my guess would be the cable adapter to the drive unit for the speedo cable or the speedo cable itself. if it is the speedo does it still use the old have to use math type speedos? if so i have one here if ya want it cheap

·
Registered
892 Posts
Every sled I have owned, when the speedometer quit working it was the left bearing on the jack shaft, that is where the key is for the speedo.

I have only owned Cat so maybe something different.

·
Registered
23 Posts
take the cable off from the back of the speedo . follow it under your belt, youll see where it screws in there. take it off.... go to your parts guy with $26 and buy a new cable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with Baero, Last weekend my speedo quit and I thought "damn I checked the jack bearing this pre-season and it was ok!" This time it turned out the nut that holds the cable to the back of the speedo came loose. So be sure to check that!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Lift the track off the ground and run it high enough to keep the track running. Start at the speedo and backtrack to the track. Look far where the components stop turning.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Disconnect both ends of the speedo cable and if you can't turn it by hand it is seized and will need to be replaced. If it turns freely then pull of the secondary clutch and the 3 bolts holding on the drive unit. There is a small pin inside that always breaks. It costs about $2. If not the pin or cable then it is the drive unit itself which costs about $65.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts