Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '88 Polaris 400 indy. After about 100 pulls i found out the gas line in the gas tank fell off, but not before taking the carbs off and cleaning them, rebuilding the fuel pump and putting a new choke cable on.
It started up great but being impatient i took it for a short ride (1/2 mile) without the airbox on and burned a hole in the right piston. A friend of mine swears its because of the airbox being off. I just started riding after 15 years absence so i dont know much about these newer sleds. last one i owned was a '72 Ski-roule :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yep, that's what caused it. Leans it out too much. On my Indy 500 it says right on the airbox "Operating this machine over 35 MPH with the foam cover removed WILL result in engine failure". And that's just the little foam cover on top of the airbox, let alone riding it without the whole thing removed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thats exactly what happend, you might have scored up the other cylinder as well. You can screw with the airbox but must jet accordingly. By the way removing the little foam cover on the indy 500 actually wakes it up a bit just watch your plugs, my cousin's runs good with out it and stock jetting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts