Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went and put new spark plugs in it before i started it up yesterday for the first time all summer. Ran good for the first 5 min then i shut it off to wash it and stuff. Turned it back on..took it around the yard and then every time i went to move it would just bogg down. had to have someone help me move it along as i pushed it. This happend at the end of last season but i thought it was just the plugs and the snow was gone so i said i wouldn't worry about it. It ran good all last season till the last week or so. Carbs were cleaned great last year. Any ideas what it could be, i thought maybe the choke was open too much and i should adjust it.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
This seems to be my answer for the week. Sounds like your clutches are dirty or you need a new belt. My 1990 Indy 500 did the same thing last year.

Does it idle fine and run good up to the point of clutch engagement?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
exactly..runs and idle's fine, then i go to take off and its like it has no power. The belt look's to be fine, no tears and its fairly new

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Have you cleaned your clutches or know if it's been done?
Do you have a track stand or a lift to run it on?
Try lifting the back end and see if relieving the weight allows the track to spin a little better. Dont run it too hard or make sure it is on the stand real good. But based on the age of the sled if the clutches havent been touched recently i would give them a cleaning.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright..it does move the track better when its up. I'll give the clutch a good cleaning..never really messed with a clutch before so it'll be my first attempt.. thanks........Come on red soxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
No Problem prelude,

It certainly sounds like it's the clutches to me.
Take them clutches apart and clean them using Scothbrite pads. The NON soapy ones. :)
Also you should go through the skid (rear suspension) and make sure all the bearings spin grease all the zerks and check your track tension.

Now that the Twins and Cubbies are out, GO SOX.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'd suggest gettting a new: primary spring, secondary springs, ramp shoes.

You need to remove the weights from the primary, check for excessive wear/play, clean the mounting pins. Check and make sure the the rollers move freely. If there are any grooves in the weights or flat spots in the rollers they will have to be replaced.

Take the secondary apart, pay attention to which holes the secondary spring ends are in. Clean everything with solvent. Replace the ramp shoes. Check the outside of the helix for wear and grooves, you can polish the outside of the helix with scotchbrite. Check the condition of the large and small bushings in the secondary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It sounds to me like you running to rich. I just had that problem with my exciter. It was suggested I check the starter valve adjustment. I losened it up and it went away.

Now I can get the idle down but thats another thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts