Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought an '89 Formula MX 462 LC. It has a completely rebuilt motor that hasnt even run for 2 hours. I wanted to know what type of oil i should use and how long should i run it with this "rich" oil it has in it now.

And approx. how long the break in time is. I had one guy tell me to put 1/4 quart oil in the gas tank. Is this a good idea??

Also, if anyone has any interesting info. about my sled like repeated problems it may have or top speeds let me know.

Ok, thanks for the input!

mx_462

FoRmUlA MX rules

·
Registered
948 Posts
Not sure if your sled is injected or not. If not, run 32:1 for one tank then back to mfg spec. 50:1. If injected then put 1/2 quart in with your first tank. Go easy on it for 50 miles or so.

That is just my opinion, please don't sue me if you blow it up!
you may hear other suggestions.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
115 Posts
this is howi break in rebuilt engines..... stay below half throttle for 1/2 hour. After then half hourslow bring it up in the rpms for quick spurts and use the whole rpm range after about 1 1/2 2 hours you can start opening it up more and more.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Those LC MX's were great sleds, fast too! When I break in a sled, I run 5 gals of a 50:1 ratio in conjunction with the oil injection system. I might be a little more obsessive in the break in process then others. I like to break it in for 10 hrs. During this time I am constantly varying the throttle position/rpms. Never staying at one level for too long. After the first 5 gals of premix are gone, just use straight gas in the tank. You can just use a good synthetic oil from one of the sled manufacturors, or someone else......I run Amsoil in mine.

Thesre are just my opinions, and what I do to give myself piece of mind. Best of luck to you.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've never conformed to any of the 'break-in rules' besides running extra oil.... I just ride like it like I stole it and personally haven't had any problems.. The way I see it.. is if something was done incorrectly during the rebuild it's going to fail whether you baby it or not.. But this is just my twisted opinion I'm sure everyone will come up with a hundred reasons why you 'need' a break in period (I’ve heard them all).. I'm not in any way making a recommendation just offering my opinion..

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by mx_462:
It has a completely rebuilt motor that hasnt even run for 2 hours.

[/quote]

If you already have almost 2 hours of use on it, then i'd say that the majority of your break-in is already done. I'd just ride it normally now. I'm sure the engine has spent enough time expanding and contracting to fit the cylinders well. If you break it in using synthetic, it may take a bit longer. IMO. I use Amsoil in all my machines.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
(That is just my opinion, please don't sue me if you blow it up!)

LOL

Put oil in gas 50:1 first tank, take it easier than normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts