Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so basically some of my friends and i are goiing up north this winter on a trip and i just bought this snowmobile,never snowmobiled before,, but i want to go faster, what is the best way to get it to go faster without getting an entirely new engine...if u know of any sites for performance parts with the 89 indy on it let me know i only have 2 months

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
not much you can do with that sled man. in top form it will probably only do about 65 maybe 70. it's a good reliable sled if it's in good condition but not much power. i think it only has something like 40hp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
k well i dont know it is in good shape i guess then i dont know miles but i was goiing 120 k and had a lil throttle left , but i mean pipes jetting etc will that do much?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
i don't think anyone ever made a pipe for that sled. you can mess with the jetting a little. but air cooled sleds can't run too lean or they'll burn up. you could change the gearing a little to try and get a few more kph out of it but at some point you'll run into the power limit of being able to hold the rpms up with steeper gearing.

what you should do is find out what the stock clutching setup is, then at least make the clutches as healthy as stock. if it's like a lot of older sleds the internal clutching components are quite likely beat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ye i was looking at clutch kits trying to find one, i was goiing to get a completely new engine, one of my friends has a 550 fan with pipes, clutch carbs etc and i could get it for 700 maybe a little less.. but im unsure got to see whats gunna make the bigger difference for the cost

·
Registered
690 Posts
yes aaen made one i have one on my 87 indy sport 340, it gives like 5 or 6 horse, and saves like 5 to 10 pounds

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yo nice sled good to see im not the only one rockin the oldies, its my first sled lol i jsut wanan go fast,, you know anything about like bogging down right when u hit deep pow?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think its a waste of time and money to try and make the 340 any faster - if youre new into the sport - at least ride it for a year and learn what the sled can do and cannot do. Once you get the experienced, then sell the 340 to upgrade to a bigger and faster. Ive seen new riders buying a sled thats too much for them and end up getting hurt. We need to keep our sport safe. WL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im new to buy but i have ridden snow-hawks-and anything from 600-900,f7's etc ijust want this little toy for the year pound some money into it make er go ya know i am from canada what else u expect me to do up here buy a swimsuit eh..?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Found some money? Like what? 30 bucks or 30 yens? Youre not going to gain a lot to put on aftermarket performance on a 340. If anything, save your money and sell the 340 and buy a liquid cooled. Ask your fellow Canadians that stole sleds for a living. Im sure you can find a nice, cheap sled for you to ride for the year.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here's a story for you guys...
About 1974 or '75, I was 10-11 yrs old, my dad picked up a 340 TX from a guy that worked for Polaris up in Roseau MN.
It was an air-cooled, modified sled with twin straight pipes coming out each side of the hood.
This thing was loud and it would FLY!
It had been modded for the Winnepeg 500 (the old snowmobile race from Winnepeg to Minneapolis).
Man, I had that 'ol dream o meter wrapped up to about 90 a few times. Of course the old man didn't know that.
Anyway, I think some sleds can really be "sparked" with the right guy and knowledge.

I put a few thousand miles on it and I do miss that sled.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Originally posted by cnelk
[br]Here's a story for you guys...
About 1974 or '75, I was 10-11 yrs old, my dad picked up a 340 TX from a guy that worked for Polaris up in Roseau MN.
It was an air-cooled, modified sled with twin straight pipes coming out each side of the hood.
This thing was loud and it would FLY!
It had been modded for the Winnepeg 500 (the old snowmobile race from Winnepeg to Minneapolis).
Man, I had that 'ol dream o meter wrapped up to about 90 a few times. Of course the old man didn't know that.
Anyway, I think some sleds can really be "sparked" with the right guy and knowledge.

I put a few thousand miles on it and I do miss that sled.
And dont forget, the TX has a bit more hp than the fan-cooled 340 version and two - we all know the dream-o-meter was way off. Not to be a jerk about it - I love the way the TX looks and in fact, I am looking into buying, either a '78 or '79 TX-L340 on Friday. I always wanted to have one vintage sled. WL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts