Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gpa has an 89 Indy 650 been sittin around for some time now so I drug it out and got her fired up but theres a clutch issue. When its on the stand it works fine but when I get on it the clutch wont fully engage. Is this an issue with weights or should I rebuild the clutch or get a new one in ur opinions??

·
Registered
411 Posts
It probalby needs a full primary rebuild and cleaning. Check the weights and rollers. Replace the springs in both clutches and clean them up real good with hot water and soap.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
What do you mean it doesn't fully engage? Like revving it up doesn't make it move? like past the 4000 rpm mark, it still wont move? have you looked to see if the primary moves in on the shaft when rpm's pass engagement rpm range? Does the secondary open when rpm's increase?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jesse500 said:
What do you mean it doesn't fully engage? Like revving it up doesn't make it move? like past the 4000 rpm mark, it still wont move? have you looked to see if the primary moves in on the shaft when rpm's pass engagement rpm range? Does the secondary open when rpm's increase?
no no when i get on it the clutch wont engage enough to stretch my belt out to its full potential, its hard to explain and im sure i sound like a dumba$$ but idk how else to explain it

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey 800DOO, like yellowstorm, id take both cluthes apart and go threw them both. Replace anything you gotta and of couse clean them. Then button it back together and they should work like a champ. Nice sled by the way. Ive got a 94/95RXL and that motor is sooo dependable. Enjoy riding it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
yellowstorm800 said:
It probalby needs a full primary rebuild and cleaning. Check the weights and rollers. Replace the springs in both clutches and clean them up real good with hot water and soap.
X2-- Go through the both clutches and clean before you dump $300+ in to it for no reason. if its been sitting for a while im sure the primary shaft is kinda rusty and the springs and weights are soft/flat.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I know this sounds stupid, but it may save you some time and $$..

Make sure that all the cylinders are firing... Fire it up cold, and let it run for 30 seconds or so, then feel all 3 pipes at the block. If one is cold, that means a cylinder ain't firing, and it will do exactly what you describe.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
800DOO said:
jesse500 said:
no no when i get on it the clutch wont engage enough to stretch my belt out to its full potential, its hard to explain and im sure i sound like a dumba$$ but idk how else to explain it
You mean it doesn't achieve "optimal" or max rpm when WOT? Like if 8500 rpm is the potential max rpm, it only gets to like 7000 rpm?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^Thats the problem right there jesse. So why is it when its on the stand it will max out but as soon as i took it off and got on it to run across the yard it wouldnt?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
im gonna have to agree with UOPK. didn't even occur to me until he mentioned it, but now that seems like the right explanation. clutch springs don't go bad from "sitting around for some time" but a good cleaning of the shaft/clutch components wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
In that case, your basket or face plate bushing might be shot, and be getting caught up on the shaft. Or your buttons are worn down alot, leaving alot of play in the basket, so it gets caught up on the shaft seat. Or your weight bushing are shot, and it allows the tip of the weight to come into contact with the basket channels, not letting the basket fully shift out.

full potential RPM is achieved by a full shift of the primary.

your spring may not achieve an adequate finishing angle (spring too soft).

I had an 89 650 indy 650 tripple/tripple. I had a 230/320 primary spring, and it engaged @ 4300 rpm's, and pulled hard all the way to 8800rpm. just a FYI if your getting a new spring.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
im gonna have to agree with UOPK. didn't even occur to me until he mentioned it, but now that seems like the right explanation. clutch springs don't go bad from "sitting around for some time" but a good cleaning of the shaft/clutch components wouldn't hurt either.
Yeah, my first thought was a clogged jet or a bad plug.

It'll run up on the stand because there's no load, but under load it don't have the power to do crap..

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright fellas Im tearin into her this weekend when I get some free time so Ill let yall know what I found out and if I need anymore help. Thanks again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts