Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 89 Polaris Indy Trail 488 for a good deal and was wondering if there is anything that I can do to increase the overall performance of the sled? I've never owned a sled this new, so any help would be great. All my friends ride sled that are alot newer and want me to go riding with them this winter(if we ever get snow) and I don't know if I'll be able to keep up(I'm a pretty big guy). Also, can I put a diffrent rear suspension on this sled to lift it up a bit higher? Anything you can help with would be appreciated.[:D]

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
A good clutch "tuneup" is the best thing you can do for that sled. Either an aftermarket kit or a Po kit.
If you can find a suspension from a newer sled, It can probably be installed with a little work. You may have to change the track as the length may be different(longer).

·
Super Moderator
11,281 Posts
Not much you can do to that sled will give you the performance needed to keep up with the new liquids. If you just want it to sit higher you can ger drop brackets for the rear susp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The rear suspension has a "deep snow" setting that sets the seat a bit higher. I don't remember the steps, but it was listed in the user manual. The 488 is a reliable motor and provides good performance at trail speeds 20-60 mph. It also gets good MPG. Plastic skis would help. You'll also find that it's snappier at -10F than at +30F, so try planning your trips on cold days!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by go wild
[br]The rear suspension has a "deep snow" setting that sets the seat a bit higher. I don't remember the steps, but it was listed in the user manual. The 488 is a reliable motor and provides good performance at trail speeds 20-60 mph. It also gets good MPG. Plastic skis would help. You'll also find that it's snappier at -10F than at +30F, so try planning your trips on cold days!
Thanks for the info. Now all I need is a user manual. lol. Looks like I'll be keeping the sled after all (my truck was just totaled).

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
you can put in newer suspensions. i put a suspension out of a 1995 indy 500 in mine. it was before the xtra 10, called the xc-100. has about 8 inches of travel. it bolted into the rear suspension holes and i drilled two new holes for the front about an inch farther forward. increased the rideability immensely. you can put an xtra 10 suspension in it as well and there are threads on this site about doing it.

as for performance, you should bare minimum get the clutches to stock form. there is at least one pipe out there that you can run on it, made by DG. they dont' make them anymore. i have one on mine. you can find them on ebay. not sure who else may have or still would make one.

wether it's piped or not, make sure jetting is right.

i put heavier front springs on mine that were meant for a liquid cooled sled. i recently looked for them for someone else on this site and couldn't find them. ebay is a good place to look for suspension upgrades. you'll want to do that being a big guy.

if the sled isn't studded, it will benefit from 48 studs in the middle. losing wieght on the sled helps too. my 89 trail is a frankenstein. looks kinda odd but very functional. if you can find a bigger tank from another wedge year, you'll be better off.

plastic skis and the DG pipe probably saved me 25 or 30 pounds off the sled.

i put a seat from an edge sled on mine. much more cushiony than the original. took a little fabricating because i had to make a couple brackets.

if the motor is healthy now, it will be reliable and fun. the sled is similar in quickness and top speed to an edge 550 supersport.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
this is the same DG pipe i have on mine. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLARIS-TRAIL-SINGLE-SNOW-EXHAUST-PIPE-BLACK-16-5416_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43978QQihZ007QQitemZ170062700220

i just looked quick and aaen makes a pipe that will fit it also.

toward the bottom of the list. it says 91-98 but it will fit the 89 too.

http://aaenperformance.com/Polaris.asp

·
Registered
252 Posts
my sister has the same sled what we did is clutch it put a 133 1 1/4 full block also added drop brackets, fish bones, new wedge cab with the 97 xcf 440 decals rebuild the motor and added a reverse, and in the process of adding xtra 10 all around the last time i used the sled is seemed to just find with some of the late 90 liquids

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well the 488 fan is a reliable motor, heck it must be, because they used the same one for somewhere around 15 years. There was a liquid cooled version of the same motor put in sleds like the Indy 500, and that motor was used for like 20 years, so dont let anyone tell you Fuji is bad! I have done a few things to my 97 trail, different gears in the chain case, the same ratio run on a trail RMK. These sleds also respond well to stiffer clutch springs in both clutches, and as everyone else said any weight you can shave off helps lots! Plastic ski's or at least ski skins to help out with the drag. Mounting different suspensions in it is pretty easy as long as you have some skill working with tools, this website is very helpfull! You will have a nice sled there, and as long as your buddies don't run wide open all the time you should be able to keep up fine. Mine does 65-70 with out to much effort, after that it just makes noise, but getting there is the fun part, with the lower gear ratio it really pulls pretty good out of the hole. Have fun, hope we get some snow!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts