Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2003 Polaris 700 RMK (Edge chassie) has always run premium unleaded 91 octane gasoline but the closest places that carry 91 are about 15-20 miles away and its kind of a pain having to either load up the sled and take it over or ride it over just to fill up. i was wondering if it would hurt anything to run 89 octane. only thing i would have to worry about then is avoiding 89 made with ethanol.

thanks
Icefisr

· Super Moderator
11,386 Posts
I run 87-89 octane in my newer sleds all the time,try to avoid ethanol if you can.

· Registered
680 Posts
if you are going to run 89 you may as well run regular, the point behind 91/92 nonoxy premium is to get away from ethanol, regular and mid grade both have ethanol in them so you may as well save the 5cents per gallon and get regular, i've been told from a gas station owner that the only way they make 89 is by adding more ethanol then the 87. something to keep in mind. i know alot of people who run 87/89 and have no problems, i stay away from it myself. now i know on my old 2000 zr 600 efi there is a switch to run 91 or regular gas with ethanol so the computer knows what type of gas it has, i don't know if yours has that but maybe something to look for. i do know there is also regular without ethanol, that will work just fine too.

· Registered
3,504 Posts
ive been using StarTron i think its called,supposed to help with ethanol probs,and at 7.95 to treat 48 gallons its good insurance. In Mayville there was a Keystone gas station and it said on the pumps 100% gasoline....Thats where i filled up all weekend.

· Registered
759 Posts
arctic_cat_man1 said:
if you are going to run 89 you may as well run regular, the point behind 91/92 nonoxy premium is to get away from ethanol, regular and mid grade both have ethanol in them so you may as well save the 5cents per gallon and get regular, i've been told from a gas station owner that the only way they make 89 is by adding more ethanol then the 87. something to keep in mind.[/color=red] i know alot of people who run 87/89 and have no problems, i stay away from it myself. now i know on my old 2000 zr 600 efi there is a switch to run 91 or regular gas with ethanol so the computer knows what type of gas it has, i don't know if yours has that but maybe something to look for. i do know there is also regular without ethanol, that will work just fine too.

Really? hmmmm, my best freind own's a gas station....and when the truck comes to deliver fuel 3 times a week, they dump Reg (87) and Prem (92) ....

The 89 octane is made by blending 60% reg and 40% premium...but they all have the same Ethanol content (I have a call in to verify this)

· Registered
680 Posts
RAMROD said:
arctic_cat_man1 said:
if you are going to run 89 you may as well run regular, the point behind 91/92 nonoxy premium is to get away from ethanol, regular and mid grade both have ethanol in them so you may as well save the 5cents per gallon and get regular, i've been told from a gas station owner that the only way they make 89 is by adding more ethanol then the 87. something to keep in mind.[/color=red] i know alot of people who run 87/89 and have no problems, i stay away from it myself. now i know on my old 2000 zr 600 efi there is a switch to run 91 or regular gas with ethanol so the computer knows what type of gas it has, i don't know if yours has that but maybe something to look for. i do know there is also regular without ethanol, that will work just fine too.

Really? hmmmm, my best freind own's a gas station....and when the truck comes to deliver fuel 3 times a week, they dump Reg (87) and Prem (92) ....

The 89 octane is made by blending 60% reg and 40% premium...but they all have the same Ethanol content (I have a call in to verify this)

hey, i'm just repeating what i was told, ok? don't get all smart ass towards me...

· Registered
759 Posts
arctic_cat_man1 said:
RAMROD said:

hey, i'm just repeating what i was told, ok? don't get all smart ass towards me...
You aint even seen close to smart ass yet....

Stop making statements about what your sisters, boyfreinds, dads, second cousin's, gym teacher told you and tell people FACTS...

Thats the problem with the internet, too many "I heard this so it must be true keboard jokeys"

I dont get involved in the tech topics (tuning and suspension andthe like) because I dont have the proper info to help others.

So lets try and help people to get FACTUAL INFO instead of what "we heard".

· Registered
680 Posts
RAMROD said:
arctic_cat_man1 said:
RAMROD said:

Stop making statements about what your sisters, boyfreinds, dads, second cousin's, gym teacher told you[/color=darkred] and tell people FACTS...

Thats the problem with the internet, too many "I heard this so it must be true keboard jokeys"

I dont get involved in the tech topics (tuning and suspension andthe like) because I dont have the proper info to help others.

That being said, So YOU own the gas station yourself? Nope your FRIEND does. I know and talk to the guy directly infact he is my friend too. So I was told the wrong info which I thought was right for the past 2 years. I guess I will have to talk to a few different owners and get the correct info because I'm sure in the hell not going to take your word on it since you are just a normal Joe Blow Keyboard Jockey. Most likely telling the wrong info like the rest of us are, isn't that right? If you haven't already learned in life, everyone can be a damn smartass. I've already stated what I know about this topic, so I'm ending my involvement in it and don't plan on coming back to read and post in it anymore. So if you have a problem with what I said in return here. You can come take it up personally with me, I'll even give you my address.

1,810 Posts
arctic_cat_man1 said:
RAMROD said:
arctic_cat_man1 said:
RAMROD said:

Stop making statements about what your sisters, boyfreinds, dads, second cousin's, gym teacher told you[/color=darkred] and tell people FACTS...

That being said, So YOU own the gas station yourself? Nope your FRIEND does. I know and talk to the guy directly infact he is my friend too. So I was told the wrong info which I thought was right for the past 2 years. I guess I will have to talk to a few different owners and get the correct info because I'm sure in the hell not going to take your word on it since you are just a normal Joe Blow Keyboard Jockey. Most likely telling the wrong info like the rest of us are, isn't that right? If you haven't already learned in life, everyone can be a damn smartass. I've already stated what I know about this topic, so I'm ending my involvement in it and don't plan on coming back to read and post in it anymore. So if you have a problem with what I said in return here. You can come take it up personally with me, I'll even give you my address.

[beatup]

(DING) End of round, separate corners, please.

· Registered
759 Posts
arctic_cat_man1 said:
RAMROD said:
arctic_cat_man1 said:
RAMROD said:

Well I am there EVERYDAY, was fishing with him yesterday and spoke to him on the phone at lunch time today....he lives across the street....in fact I can go over there and get on his computer and answer this for you if you like....but your right....i don't own it...i will however make some calls for you to the higher ups, if his word is not good enough for you, and get your info for you...

· Registered
759 Posts
Hey guys, sorry I got a little heated up about this, its just that I hate seeing people get false info.

I would like to say to everyone, do what you like as far as gas goes, its all crap these days anyway...

Didnt mean to come across the way I did...

Pease, love, and no underwear!

· Registered
15,705 Posts
^^ you came across fine.
sTOrMy96 said:
Why is everyone on this site like this [2guns][smilie_shoot]
not everyone is. [thumb]

· Registered
4,283 Posts
i am a manager for the BP gas station in my town and RAMROD is correct. we have delivered 2 times a week 2 different trucks. 1 is carrying reg and premium the other is carrying on and off road diesel. mid grade is made by blending the regular and premium together.

· Registered
15,705 Posts
isn't the mid grade blended on site? not by the delivery driver??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.