Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 89 Phazer with 12,600 mile on it. Yeah that's a bunch. Anyway I cleaned the carbs and put new oil and fuel lines on it. Runs real good… But it will only go about 50mph. Right out of the hole she'll do about 60 but then it just won't do more than 50. It takes off and runs good no bogging. I can back the throttle off to about half and it stays at 50. Is this a clutching issue? Oh, compression is 120 a side. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
155 Posts
sounds like secondary is seized , not switching over , r ur rpms up where there supposed to be, if they r it probably secondary last but not least, chain or track too tight

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the RPMs hit maybe 6,500ish then hang around 5,500. I threw another secondary on it that I had; ran the exact same way. Not saying either of those secondary are right. I thought if it was that it would have ran a bit different. But I did put a new track on it. The chain case does get extremely hot wonder if I have that cranked down to much. I know the muffler is right there but it gets real hot, fluid levels fine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
would be lookin at all the track change over ,and adjustments , dont ride it , fig out whats happen track too tight or chain is what i would look at next

·
Registered
155 Posts
Okay, I will start there, makes sense. Thanks for the direction.
totally fergot this can u move the track by hand?, or with the secondary clutch ? u may have something wrong in chain case , wrong stack up spacer missing ,{fell out u didnt see it} or track too tight , good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I can move the track by hand and by the secondary. I loosened the chain tensioner bolt about 2/8 of an inch and took er for a cruise. Much better got up to 70/75 and revved good, could slow and get back into er and she headed right back up there. The chain case did not get that hot but it was not that long of a cruise so that's yet to be determined. At this point I think I might have it. I believe when I put it together I tightened the chain to much. The manual called for 8 to 15mm of slack. I believe I just tightened it by hand and called it good leaving very little to no slack. I still believe those clutches could use a tune up but this was my culprit as least until further observation. Next thing I'll be looking at is: the clutch engages at like 2800 she really pushes early I think thats a little to soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts