Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 89 indy polaris trail indy 500. It does not have much power on the low end and can only go like 65-70 mph. I would think it should be able to go faster than this. Is there something wrong with the carboretors? What else could I check to get more speed and also more power out of the hole.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had a similar problem and it turned out that I needed to replace the drive belt. Out on the lake I would be lucky to get 75mph out of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same sled and I was having some problems with it bogging down and I had the carbs cleaned and fuel lines replaced. We have ethynol forced on us in Minnesota and it eats away at fuel lines and gums up the carbs. The tube to the tank was replaced as well as the pickup tube that goes into the tank. Runs like it's new now. On hard pack you should be able to get 90 mph at least. (Not that I would recomment it, ha ha)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, I will go ahead and clean out the carbs. I have never done this before but I have replaced pistons and such so it shouldn't be that big of a deal, right? What kind of carbs are on my polaris? Are they mikuni or something similar where I could use this page http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf
for reference?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Your clutches may be worn or just your primary spring has lost some tension. In my 97(same engine) It came stock with a red/white spring rated 100# engagement and 220# @ full shift, and #10AL weights @53 grams . Always doggy at low speeds.
Someone who used to race Trails and XCFs told me that the hot set up was #10 weights @ 51.5 grams with a Polaris red spring or an Erlandson orange spring. The Pol. red is rated at 120# engagement and 250# @ full shift. The Erlandson orange is rated at 125# engagement and 260# @ full shift.
I installed the polaris red spring (part # 7041083) and left my original 53 gram weights in place. Definately woke it up and I've put on 3,500 trouble free miles since the switch. I think I could have put in 52 gram weights and been really happy but with no temp gage or tach I wanted to stay conservative.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts