Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my freind is looking at buying a 1989 powder special. it is a 600 twin with efi and the owner told my freind that there was a recal to replace the heads when they first came out and this was done right away by a dealer. the sled has 2000 miles on it. has there been any known problems with these sleds. any help would be great thanx.

·
Registered
482 Posts
sure go for it, its the same as a ZR but with a long track and bigger skis. The crankshafts typically go out at about 5000 miles, so take that into account. They are about 500 to get a rebuilt one, or about 650 for a new motor... That is why I'm on my 2nd 98 ZR now haha. But the parts are worth gold on ebay, i parted mine out for close to 2700 for a sled that wasnt worth more than 1500 even with a blown motor! Great for riding and dependability, you can really beat the crap out of them each and every time you ride. EFI is fricken sweet too. 12+mpg even with the 136 track.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya sorry i mixed up it was 1998 thanks for the correction mnstang. the guy ended up buying it right away and today we went for ride and the sled runs very strong for a 600 there are 3 powder special 600's in the area and out of the three this one runs very strong and it was a steal of a deal only a crack in the windsheild and the price was very low for it. the guy had a 95 zrt and the water pump went out in it and so while he was fixing that he decide to go over the whole engine and replace all worn parts and then he took it out and after 2 miles he blew a piston! so he decided to buy a better sled

·
Super Moderator
11,679 Posts
Originally posted by thehawk789
[br] EFI is fricken sweet too. 12+mpg even with the 136 track.
How the hell do you pull 12+ mpg!? I've owned mine for about 3 years now and get about 60-65 miles on a tank, 'maybe' up to 80 on trails...which is not even close to 12 mpg.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I got up to 14 mpg one time. I did have a D/D single pipe and a stinger can, along with a hot rod chip, and like 144 studs. But it wasnt very fast on the top end even with the mods, it only did 100

·
Super Moderator
11,679 Posts
I have a D&D pipe/can, clutch kit, and chip in my ZR as well. Black Magic head too, but that was just installed. Pretty snappy, but crap for mileage...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts