Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just put a 89 377 in a 86 cougar. runs good with out a load but just had it out ran it for hour or so. then started to cut out itermittent. seems like when it got hot it started acting funny. but then i let it cool, still when you get on it cuts out then dies or really hard to stay running gota to prime like crazy the hole bit. just put a carb on and coil wonder were i sould be looking cdi box or stator allso using the old dual carb fuel pump have one side blocked off could be prob. any help app. thanks fanatics.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cdi box i just talked to my sled guy he said it might be crank seal. so sprayed some sarting fluid on the pto side came up a little but not much. allso had the plugs out checking spark. the pto side was weaker, plus when running you can take off the plug closest to the pto and stays running rough but take the other off it dies don't know if this has anything to do with it? just whent and got the correct fuel pump to day rebult it so now that is correct. this thing is a real monster have a smaller air box on it from a john deer only thing i could find to fit not much baffeling to it like the stock one.hopeing it aint the crank seal that looks like a real fun job

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
sounds like you are only running on one cyl. Buy brand new plug caps (cut wire back 1/2" for fresh wire) install new plugs and retry it

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have done allready new caps and trimmed wire when i got an new coil. well it wasn't new so i put new caps on. i just tryed trrimming back on the week side again thinking maybe bad wire yet same prob. get it going and then cuts out doesn't die if you fether the throtle you can get it to idle again after alitle bit. didn't put new plugs in though and running the next hottest plug. even though it still does the same thing with the correct plug in. the hoter set was the cleanest set i had. hey team mfg you a snowmobile mec. for a living or just for fun see you all over this sight you help an awful lot of people. and i thank you for your time now!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I used to be a mech, but went to the oilfield 7 years ago. Not really ontop of the new stuff, but the are all the same when it comes right down to it.

Anyway, is it hard to start?
Once running does it seem to cut in and out (one to two cyls)?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool i was going to do the rigs but **** happend and i didn't. spend good year in fargo then came back to pa. anyway it 2 cyl. and no starts good, will idle good run good through the r's if its propted up but if you try to run it with a load on it once you get the secondary expanded it dies out. like when you get it up to a cruse speed it cuts out witch makes me think the crank seal. motor got some miles on it to. i look found a gasket kit for like $40 so that aint to bad but the tear dowm don't seem fun. don't have a manual for it and all. might need some help there? no matter just hauled a 91 fire bird with my 97 1-150 and smoked the clutch so im having a great weekend haa haaa haaaa. thank again for the help. p.s. cool photo definetly look canadian a heh were can i get a hat like that that would blow the people away around here. !!!!fanatic for life!!!!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
-have it idle and spray eather at the crank seal, if it is blowen you will kill the engine.
-check over your drivetrain for a bummed bearing, or your clutches are hanging up
- look over the electrical very well, unhook the wiring coming from the engine (but not to the coil and cdi) the sled should still run and try a run

My picture is Bubbles off of the Trailer Park Boys, on Show Case, very low budget, but very funny tv show (not for the young)
Google them and check it out

Good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok sorry it took so long to reply. finally got snow here in pa and have been working on sled. have done all listed except clutching don't see anything hanging up but i don't know mutch about clutching. cleard up other issiues with fuel did vacume test off crank case have 4 bars. fuel lines are full straight into carb. have all acc. unhooked. headlight just jot dimmer. still have cutting out. runs good until you do a couple god runs and get it warmed up it starts cutting out like its sarving for gas and if you prime it comes back to life, but dies unless you prime it and fether the gas and you can get it to idel again if you stop and keep doing that. take the plugs out if you just let it die and they look fine. plugs have allways looked fine little oil on the threads light tan color. and if you spray eather behind the clutch the r's come up it does't kill it. havent tried the other side not sure were to go in at with the eather. little pissed off dad and uncle are going out tommarow and my sled aint trail ready, guess i seen that comming.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think you might have a bad crank seal if it did rev up when you sprayed eaither behind the clutch.

When the sled dies will it fire back up, if not do a spark check

Then will it start when it is cold?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What type of spark check are you talking about? Yes it does fire up again if its cooled off. Actually it runs fine when its cold its just when it gets to opp. temp it starts doing cutting out. Good news though my dad just bought a 02 zl ss 600 artic cat. So now I have his 00 formula 500 ski-doo. I love that sled man is that thing fast. So I got to ride some miles today woohaa.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I agree with TeamNFG, sounds like a seal is gone. What is most likely happening is as the engine warms up it expands and a gap is opening up letting air in. Not sure if there is anything you can do to plug it without a full tear down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts