Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my indy 650 out yesterday in the fresh really heavy wet snow and got on it ( 3\4 ) throttle coming up a slight slope and heard what i thought was the track skipping a tooth. now the track is 9 years old but the sled sat for 9 years and this is the first year it ran since then. (bought it not running this year) I took the chain case off and there was oil in there looked kinda dirty but no metal shavings or anything. but the chain seem a little lose maybe 1\2 an inch or so play. what does it sound like when the chain ratchets? what kind of oil should i put back in the chain case? I was thinking 90 wt gear oil. I also tightened the track till what i thought was 10 pounds of presure caused a 1 inch gap or so. but haven't tested yet. one last question has any one ever tried to fit a 2 snowmobiles in a 6 foot truck bed??? In my mind it seems like it could work with a lot of rope. has anyone tried this ? i am going to try soon.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Let us know how the two sled's in the truck work's out fer ya. For your chain case i'd recommend Polaris chain case oil, 90 weight is to heavy, generally thier is a bolt on top of the gear case to adjust the chain, take up slack don't over tighten.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ive had the same problem with my sled i figured out that my cogs or the axle was slipping on my track and i put more tension on the tarck and it seemed to help. ive always used regualr valvoline 90wt gear oil it works the same as any other gear oil.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had the same problem with my 650. could hear chainn slip once and awhile. adjusted the chain tension. found out that wasn't the problem. flying across the lake hitting some small drifts and the top sprocket broke rite off the jack shaft. turns out the bearings on the drive bogies were worn allowing the chain to loosen.very exspensive mistake.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'm no help with the ratcheting problem but someone on here posted a picture a couple years ago with a pro-x and a rev in the back of their truck. One sled faced forward with the right ski hanging out of the box and the other faced backwards with the right ski hanging out of the box. Just an idea if thats what you were looking for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts