Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 yam exciter II and I take the jets out every year and spray with carb cleaner and compressed air. The Machine has a serious case of "the bogs" and when you half choke or lift the hood a little, it clears out and away you go. I got fed up this year and took the entire carb off to submerse it in carb cleaner. This is where I am confused, there is an electrical wire going into the bottom of each carb. they are adjustable, and I took one off so I could get one carb soaking, but how do I adjust it properly when re-installing it? Should I just match the other carb that I haven't messed with and try it? or is there some sort of clearance that I need to gap or something? Any help would be appreciated, I'd like to get it back together today and start work on the kid sled.

Merry Christmas and thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hey, I think I got this worked out, I called a dealer in Meridian, and he told me the electronic safty (which is what these wires are) are more trouble than they are use. he said to by-pass it by plugging the two plugs on the main wireing harness together. I'm gonna try that.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the carb scouring project was almost complete last night at 910 p.m mountain time, until I glanced at my choke cables...... the plungers and springs have gone missing at some point yesterday, looks like the ol' Exciter II will be sitting the christmas holiday in my shop[:(]

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok here is the update: Got the carbs together and found that the clutches needed to be rebuilt/ cleaned. Since I dropped the choke plunger spring, I figured I would have the dealer put it in while he was fixing my clutches. Well, he phoned today to tell me the yam is only running on one cylinder, probably that the cylinder wall of the jug was flakeing off. He is pulling it down this evening and I should know on Monday. I'm guessing I'm getting 2 new lineings and probably new pistons and rings to the tune of 800 bucks or so.. anyway, not thrilled to be putting coin into the old girl, but now it'll probably run for another many thousand miles. He says this is symptomatic of the bogging and what-not that it was doing prior to me cleaning the carbs, so probably the culprit all the while.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well good news and here is a good tip if anyone has been following this... The Exciter is not burnt down, The cylinders are fine, the reason one hole wasn't fireing, is that it wasn't getting any fuel! So after you clean your carbs out and leave you're machine sitting for a week strait, before you hook up the fuel lines and turn the gas on, turn the gas on while the feeds are unhooked, the water settles out to the bottom of the tank an you will therefore drain all the water out of the lines and tank if you do this before you hook the lines back up! (duh!!) I only drained fuel every day out of an airplane to check for water during flying lessons! Oh well, It screams now. all is well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts