Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 ext special noticed some piston play when checking it over so i decided to put a new one in and replace all the gaskets and seald..Just incase.. I ordered the puller for the clutch and i just couldnt get that sucker to budge. I filled the bolt hole up with tranny fluid let it sit for a day and a half and still nothing .. So i thot i would bring the whole thing to the cat repair shop and just have them take it off for me .. Well after about 10 minutes of trying they pulled the threads right out of the clutch.. Is there a way i can get this clutch off without destroying it?? I bought this clutch about 4 years ago and just dont want to have to spend another bunch of money to get another one.thanx

·
Registered
827 Posts
If the threads are destroyed inside the clutch then you have no choice but to cut it off. Remove as many parts as possible first. Can't see any other way to remove it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
k thank you ... someone sugested using a ball joint remover to maybe get in between it and the seal plate and give it a few good whacks with a big hammer ... is there any way this would potentally harm my crank case or the crank??.. the clutch is still good .. if you were in my shoes would you cut it off and just get a new clutch?? cuz the repair shop suggested putting the engine back togeather and running it ,afterall the new seal kit was just a precaution anyways, and they said other than the piston play the engine looked good.

·
Registered
103 Posts
dave0993 said:
I have a 1991 ext special noticed some piston play when checking it over so i decided to put a new one in and replace all the gaskets and seald..Just incase.. I ordered the puller for the clutch and i just couldnt get that sucker to budge. I filled the bolt hole up with tranny fluid let it sit for a day and a half and still nothing .. So i thot i would bring the whole thing to the cat repair shop and just have them take it off for me .. Well after about 10 minutes of trying they pulled the threads right out of the clutch.. Is there a way i can get this clutch off without destroying it?? I bought this clutch about 4 years ago and just dont want to have to spend another bunch of money to get another one.thanx
another way to take clutch off is to pipe thread threads in end of ctutch and reduce in size till 1/8 grease nipple and push off with grease gun just sug. make a mess but sometimes works

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
k i will try that ty .. may try to re-thread the clutch to a 5/8 coarse thread and try a length of threaded rod with a nut welded on the end... nothing to lose at this point..i do appreciate the help thank you all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts