Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching around the forum and couldn't find anyone with this problem I had so I decided to take some pictures and figured that the service manual wouldn't cover this after I looked at the local supply store.
I recently bought a 91 Indy 400 and can't get these plastic skis to fit on properly. No matter how hard I push and have a buddy try to mount the bolt, they will not go on. The only thing I can think to do is take the rubber on a belt sander and sand it down. Are there any ill effects if I were to do so? Anyone else ever have this problem? Also there is a bushing pressed into the side of the metal mounting point on my set of plastic skis. I never realized there was a bushing missing until I took them down from my attic. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this without buying a new ski? 1 is good and the other has 1 bushing missing from 1 side, the other is good so I'm wondering if there was any way I can fix this.
Thanks. 2011190429125_2899.jpg
2011190431671_2899.jpg
2011190434281_2899.jpg

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Are the rubbers under the spindles new? If so, they are going to be pretty stiff. Is that metal shim under them necessary? Just wondering, 'cause mine don't have that. Maybe try a couple of c-clamps.
For the bushing, maybe try a sled salvage yard and see if they will pull one out of a damaged ski? If all else fails, find some metal tubing and cut it to fit. May need to turn it down to get the right size though.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Get the bolt started on one side, Use the leverage of the bolt to bring it in line with the other side? Once you get a socket, extension and ratchet on there, you might be able to create enough leverage to get it in line.May have to use a hammer to pound it through. Maybe use a cheap ratchet.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I think I came across a similar scenario like this before on an older Indy. I think flipping the rubber upside down cured the problem. [?] That or switching to the older style rubbers that came with that sled stock I think worked out ok. Don't hold me to it but I think thats how I got around it.

Second look at one of your pics looks like you are getting it close. Sometimes they can be really tight with new rubbers. You may have to tilt the ski on a bit of an angle to start the bolt and then wiggle it in with the help of a pry bar and hammer.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try some of the things you guys suggested. What do you mean by flipping the rubber upside down canadian?
And yes the rubbers are new. I was told you need the aluminum piece underneath. If you think about it that is what keeps the rubber from sliding out of place.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Just try flipping the rubber upside down from it's current position. See if that helps.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
you have the wrong rubbers on, those rubbers are for the offset spindle.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind or part number should I ask for? I brought in my old metal skis and the new plastic skis I'm running and told them I wanted to mount the plastics to my 91 Indy 400. They gave me that aluminum piece and those rubbers. A part number or a picture of what I need would be highly appreciated!
Thanks for your help so far everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts